Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of weeks I have decided I need a quick build, LOL, ::) so. In my wisdom I have been out buying bits, and rummaging around in my bits of stock That are not being used at the moment
I have started with one of these,

going to add one of these,

attached to one of these,

sitting on a set of these,

and hopefully using these

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Cool.. :D

Sid.

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
nice rare project you have there .looking forward to seeing this little van progress:tup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Prototyping for Wallace? Wait until Grommitt hears about this, no more Wensleydale for you.

Seriously should be a good project, the A30 a35 vans look really good, they were all over the place when I was growing up along with the Morris 1000 commercials also pretty scarce these days.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nice project ian, luv the wheels, should look great on the air bags , ill be watching.
will it be out and about this year?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully it will be out this year, not if I want it painted, that is open to debate, I need to source a spridget front end, and a better back axle, anglia, that's 44" and anglia van is 46" (I have access to both) and much stronger than the austin offering......

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Ive always liked the A30/35, both vans and cars, but never got round to doing one myself. I'll be watching with great interest

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At last a short respite from work, so I embarked on rubbing down some of the copious amounts of surface rust, the van was rubbed down to bare metal in a few places and left for 10+ years to get a nice Ginger hue, mostly in the engine bay and all of the floors that have been replaced, there was a lot of floor replaced, rubbed down under the bonnet, and treated with rust killer, Just looked in the mirror and you would think I have a real spray tan....... Eeek
Thought I would offer up the rear wheels, the pics were taken with the drums sitting on the rim, -----Yep, those Van springs are pretty stiff,
I'm now wondering if airbagging is the right way to go as it sounds like I wont be able to get the ride as stiff as I want, to get these cars to handle the front spring rate seems to be in the area of 550-600lbs... I don't think airbags will cope with that sort of rating, unless somebody can enlighten me.

Anybody got a spare 105e axle laying about, ?????

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had quite a good day today, offered the Toyota engine and gearbox up, Surprisingly everything went to plan, other than having to give the flange around the tunnel to bulkhead a tweek, it all fits surprisingly well, NO CUTTING NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!! even the gear lever comes out in a reasonable position thru the original hole, the gearbox needs to be elevated a bit more but there is about another 40mm to go. gearbox mounts correspond within about 20mm :) it all looks exceptionally good so far,.................until I try to mount the carbs, Which I had sorta guessed would be an issue, the steering box is in the way, not just a smidge, its seriously in the way :(
Options seem to be 1,change the manifold for a downdraft one and find some downdraft carbs... 2, downdraft manifold again and go TB injection, ££££, 3, Change the steering box for a rack, The steering on these little cars is notoriously prone to bump steer, before I even look at a rack swap the steering was going to have to be looked at BIG TIME.

The steering centre drag link runs across the back of the bulkhead where in turn connects to idlers and steering arms, lots of joints to give play in the system,

So the Thoughts have turned to one of these, a Cavalier/Astra centre pivot rack,

any other suggestions to centre pivot racks would be gratefully received

·
Registered
239 Posts
Think I got a spitfire or Herald rack on mine. Is a complete custom chassis tho with spitfire front suspension ! !

1 - 20 of 59 Posts