Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Are those spring rates right for the front end.ive put very short coilovers onto a pop with 500 lb springs befor,yetvit had a sbc with a huge blower on top.

That must weight a fair bit more thsn youres.

You won't have an issue with rates with the airbags, but you could well have issues with ride height and geometry.as if you pump the bag up to make it stiffer,ride height would go up. Does that make sense.

Air bags have huge pressure ratings, andt we seam to fit the same ones on any vehicle regardless of weight

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are those spring rates right for the front end.ive put very short coilovers onto a pop with 500 lb springs befor,yetvit had a sbc with a huge blower on top.

That must weight a fair bit more thsn youres.

You won't have an issue with rates with the airbags, but you could well have issues with ride height and geometry.as if you pump the bag up to make it stiffer,ride height would go up. Does that make sense.

Air bags have huge pressure ratings, andt we seam to fit the same ones on any vehicle regardless of weight
I have done a lot of asking about with reference to the spring rates speaking to the people who build the racing versions, they all come up with similar ratings, the suspension ratio is 4:1 so 800lbs dosent sound excessive, I have had so much conflicting info with airbags, I think I am going to stick with coils, as I dont want to spend a bundle and find out it doesent go round corners, I understand what you are saying stiffening up the airbags and raising the height, one suggestion was to tether the A arms to limit ride height, which somehow dosent appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
wayne an airbag can 'sit' at a given height with different pressure in it if the weight is different also. for example a car with a sbc would need say 150psi in the bags, add a blower and the pressure would need to increase to say 180 psi to keep the same ride height. so height is only increased with weight to maintain ride height. hope i explained that properly, neil.
ps pressures were not accurate just to show what i mean before anyone jumps on me :shake::lol:.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
if its any help in i have a set of avo coilovers which are 9" open with 4" long springs and i have tried 3 different spring rates but they still do not support the weight of the front end. i am looking at 1250 lb and believe me the front still feels soft with 900 lb which i have fitted at the moment.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
if its any help in i have a set of avo coilovers which are 9" open with 4" long springs and i have tried 3 different spring rates but they still do not support the weight of the front end. i am looking at 1250 lb and believe me the front still feels soft with 900 lb which i have fitted at the moment.
Yep those sound like the ones I need.
Your suspension leverage ratio must be off the scale to need that weight spring, , My mac strut mk2 with a rover in it ran 200 springs, which was great, I have just looked at your early part of your build, if you moved the top mount outboard or the bottom position inboard to get the spring more vertical might help with your s[ring rates

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As It was explained to me , it also depends on how upright or lent over the coulover is, this can dramatically alter spring rates

·
Registered
687 Posts
Cool project, I'll be watching this closely.
I bought this wee A35 off the forum here, Vauxhall 1400cc, Ford 5 speed, MG Miidget front suspension.
Only just got it home from storage.

It goes nicely, see wee video below
Front suspension is too soft, the front numberplate actually scrapes under hard braking!
I'll refill the Lever Arms first to see if that helps
It also has a heated front windscreen.....no idea why !

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I bought this wee A35 off the forum here, Vauxhall 1400cc, Ford 5 speed, MG Miidget front suspension.

Front suspension is too soft, the front numberplate actually scrapes under hard braking!
I like that :) A heated screen??? tell me more?? :) Found it, made by/for BULL MOTIF, at a not unreasonable £150

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts

I like it!
Do you know what back axle it uses?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I like it!
Do you know what back axle it uses?
Im going for a 105e axle, its about an 1" narrower, if you use the small flange diff I think the stock austin prop bolts to it. and you get rid of the Hydro/mechanical brakes too

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After a bit of a Palava I have just received this rad in the post, its for an EG Honda Civic, I cant believe how well it fits the Austin, could almost be made for it, :) :) :) ;)

Engine mounts are sort of made, need finishing but the basics are there,

Gearbox mount was going to be the stock corolla one but I have just noticed it has delaminated on one side, rubber from metal, as I an using stiff engine mounts and the gearbox mount is a cradle so the box can never fall out, can the mount be reattached using Sikkaflex 221 ?? or similar

·
Registered
2 Posts
call Rema Tip Top for their SC2000 rubber to metal glue, its the best, I have made countless engine and gearbox mountings, cant remember the number but they are in Leeds at Westland square, I think web site is REMA TIP TOP UK. also good for sticking rubber matting and some trim. Hope this helps

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Reckon it would do a 34 with rover v8?
I've gone with a 3 core ali type R one (bigger hose tube size) it was £60 off eBay, friend has the same one in his "300hp" boosted civic, so should be good for a mild rover.

And back to the plot :)

Chaley

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Its been a while, Not to say I haven't been working on the van, most of the stuff I have been doing is going round the van and making sure all the repair panels have been finish welded, I found a couple that were only tacked in position, I think thats now sorted, and bits are coming together, its a real pain trying to get it low enough at the front, its low enough now, but the bottom A arm is touching the chassis, and the rear is in the process of getting its 4 bar, finding things like a fuel tank has been a real task, again thankfully now sorted,

The fuel tank was well and truly fuckered,

Picked up this recently, love the look, and now converted to run on elelctronic, mapped ignition,

Big 290mm discs and big calipers are awaiting fitment,.

the fit of the wheels I find pleasing, but necessitated going to 4 bar as the leaf springs touched, they dont run parallel :( to the car,

and, eventually I gave up trying to get the right offset wheel for the front, I thought it was nearly time to change wheels when a set turned up literally about a mile from where I live, and clears everything... just, :)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts