Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
When you say hotrod do you mean a pre 49 style vehicle especially ? Just if it's not that style it may open up your market. Does Malta have it's own version of the 8 points system as to what level of deviation from 'factory' is allowed. How are they with non Historic registered vehicles , I'm thinking Q plates or SVA / BIVA passed vehicles ? I know some counties will accept SVA I it was an international standard ) but BIVA is a UK market only spec but MAYbe acceptable.

I also know some countries won't accept grp bodies on Historic chassis or have prohibitively high important duties treating GRP as new regardless of logbook details.

·
Registered
583 Posts
carnt be to difficate to get a modified car on the road in malta see loads old pickups dodge an chevy ford all rodded,they even have a drag strip hal far,loads of 60s n 70s fords all modified,my wife has some family out the ill see if they know anything about it,

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
We used to have a rodder from Malta on here who explained some of the issues with rods .Think he put a Devon body on a Spitfire chassis to get round it? Also know of a modified ate 60s/ early 70s Dodge that was exported out there by it's ex pat owner who is now racing it. So different res for different ages methinks ?

EDIT found him, look up cross27t on here ,Maltese rodder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Their is plenty of modded motors on the road in malta. Old motors and Newer stuff. I've seen some kit type cars as well.
So there must be a way of registering stuff there. Also lots of motors on British plates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Kapri,

Thank you for your message. I have always been a fan of the Ford Pop's, I fell in love with one back in the 90's. Recently however I have seen a couple of Ford Sedan's, one from 1937, one from 1938 and I am completely in love with the shape of them. I guess I should give a little more detail when I say "Hot Rod wanted" but in all honesty I'm very open minded and I'll know immediately as soon as I see the car that I want to buy.

With regards to importing a classic vehicle into Malta, I don't know exactly how their system works as yet as it's all new to me. They do state however that a vehicle over 50 years old is classed as Classic and is able to enter the country without any importation cost but does have to go onto Maltese plates. As and when that particular vehicle leaves Malta, the original UK plates can then go back onto the vehicle. All of this is only applicable if the Classic vehicle of 50 years or more is totally standard. If the vehicle has been modified, forms have to be filled in at Transport Malta along with photos and a committee board sits and decides the importation cost to each and every individual vehicle depending on the modifications.

I have filled in the required forms for two vehicles, one being a 1937 Ford Sedan (modified) and the other a 1934 Chevy again modified. The board sat again this morning and I am waiting to hear the cost of importing the Chevy. They base their costs on the Euro emissions and if the vehicle in question has a V8 for example, it is very costly.

I have just imported 2 standard road cars here to Malta, one being a Mini Cooper S Clubman and the other a Land Rover Freelander. The Cooper cost €4600 to import and the Freelander €15600.

With regards to wether they accept vehicles with GRP I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the board will have come to a decision today and I'll know soon enough.

As and when I get a reply I'll post here.

Andy

Hi,

That sounds great, I'd love some contacts if you can send them.

Many thanks,

Andy

We used to have a rodder from Malta on here who explained some of the issues with rods .Think he put a Devon body on a Spitfire chassis to get round it? Also know of a modified ate 60s/ early 70s Dodge that was exported out there by it's ex pat owner who is now racing it. So different res for different ages methinks ?

EDIT found him, look up cross27t on here ,Maltese rodder.
Fantastic,

Thank you,

Andy

Their is plenty of modded motors on the road in malta. Old motors and Newer stuff. I've seen some kit type cars as well.
So there must be a way of registering stuff there. Also lots of motors on British plates.
Hi,

Yes, there are plenty of vehicles here still running around on UK plates. Unfortunately, if you become a resident of Malta (which we have) you then get a Maltese I.D card. Once you have this I.D card and you import a vehicle into Malta, you have 20 days in which to import it and register it onto Maltese plates. Failing to do this incurs a cost of €30 per day that is payable on top of the import cost as and when you pay it.

Non residents, without Maltese I.D cards can have a vehicle here on UK plates for 7 months out of every year then it has to leave the island and not return within that same year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Folks,

Still looking for the car for us. Budget has increased so please let me know what you have for sale................

I have always been a big fan of the Ford Pop's, I fell in love with one back in the 90's. Recently however I have seen a couple of Ford Sedan's, one from 1937, one from 1938 and I am completely in love with the shape of them. I guess I should give a little more detail when I say "Hot Rod wanted" but in all honesty I'm very open minded and I'll know immediately as soon as I see the car that I want to buy.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of selling my Ford Model T 1921/25 mainly original steel Tudor. This has been valued by the NSRA at £15000. This is a four seat rod and I drive her to most shows, Billing next weekend etc. If you want more details, please let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts