Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, not having much luck on the net here but I bet someone here can help. How do I wire a Lucas style control box to a dynamo?

The terminals are labelled E, D, WL, F and B.

D and WL are connected, there is what looks like a resistor between F and D.

I am guessing the following, so please correct:

- E is earth, since it's on the casing
- D goes to the big terminal on the dynamo
- WL no idea, warning light from ignition switch?
- F is the field and goes to the small terminal
- B is to the battery

How does the ignition switch wire into this? There should be a small light in there somewhere as well, so does that go to WL?

Now I remember why I switched to alternators :D

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
This may help, then again it may not

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
LOOOONG time since I've wired one so won't chance advising you but WL IS warning light . Don't forget the regulator box itself must be earthed or it won't do its job.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks pretty good to me Sid, I think there's enough info on there to decypher mine.

Cheers Kev. It's almost like one time, a long time ago, things were actually intuitive :D

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
jonny go through beckenham towards ashburton and there is a very good old skool auto electrian just off the big roundabout, before the big tescos. something like metrolec or something like that. but he is really good. i always convert to alternator but im guessing this is on your original looking rod that you brought down to the breakfast meet. Its just been so long since i worked on dynamos that i just cant remember, but two things to remember are always make sure the dynamo and the control box have a very good earth and 2.. make sure you polarise the dynamo before trying to sort it out by flashing the terminals on a battery for what earth the car has....e.g.neg earth or poss earth

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
All sorted and it was a lot simpler than I first thought. Quick personal lesson in control box wiring...

I took the top off the small Bosch control box on the dynamo and it was all nice and new inside. Good start. I disconnected the battery wire and ran the revs up and down and I could see it switching in and out. Measured some voltages on terminals and wires. Basically the battery was on the wrong terminal, so once I swapped them over it clicks itself in and out perfectly and regulates at a nice 12V. The terminal it was originally on is the terminal for the warning light on the dash board, hence it was gounding out with the engine off, because that terminal swings voltage with the regulator and it's grounded when it's not spinning.

I'll remember that shop down there for next time 70GTO. I know the place you mean. I never thought about that place in all the times I've had starter motor or alternator problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts