Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 55 chevy sedan delivery i bought of ebay a few years ago,off a reputable member on this site
it was sold as un registered all uk dutys paid but i dont know when it came into the uk or how many hands its been thru since.
i dont have any customs paperwork but i have a crumbling pink slip any help info or suggestions are welcome.
cheers johnpaul

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
you need that customs C386 form to prove it mate, and if lost, I was told a while back that the only way to get one was to get the original import agent to request it from customs, which will be a tad dificult if you don't know when it came in! I'm a blank on this one pal, hopefully somebody will come in with something useful

·
Registered
134 Posts
i had sort of the same problem, i had no c386/389 form but i did have some of the shipping paperwork, to get it registered, i needed the customs and excise to write a letter saying they were no longer interested in collecting duty/taxes for the vehicle, and this is what was accepted by DVLA. They did not re-issue a C386/389, also i remember a possible problem of the original importer claiming back the vat cause it was a commercial imported by a company, but that never did amount to anything.

so it is possible to register a vehicle without a C386/389, however C&E will have to write a letter

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Not relevant to your case as you have some paperwork BUT with no proof of entry/ duty paid an alternative is that you may need to pay VAT and duty again on its value at the time of import ie if you have fully restored but imported TO restore they will price accordingly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Kapri---------- I have a 1939 Ford Tudor with no ID or import paperwork, therefore if I am prepared to pay the duty and VAT would it be based on 2004 rates when it was imported or todays duty rates ?

Also how can I prove to them it was a 2004 import ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
No idea !! Import duties etc isn't something I normally get involved with . It's only as part of a registration process where it's proved a stumbling block that I have any experience. It's a case of speaking directly with Customs re the duty . However .before contacting them you'll also need to get confirmation of the vehicles age , identity and ORIGINALITY from a club on the V765 list to enable registration. If it's not standard contact me via PM to discuss further.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
I am led to believe that the DVLA have bent their rules, and clubs on the V765 register can only look at their own particular marque and model. It used to be that Ford bloke could look at other Fords, but this is now not the case.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Tis true, they will base import duty and VAT on the current value of the vehicle, but you could try the fact that the vehicle could have been in the country 40 years or so well before VAT as its not like you can smuggle it in your pocket is it and customs should be aware of what comes into the country, should they not as thats there job and how do you know that it hasn't been paid already???. Surely if it has been paid there will be a record relating to the chassis number etc ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am in a similar position and have spoken to HM Customs they have told me to fill out a c388 form and give a covering letter with as much info as possible particularly chassis number and for a fiver they will check if the import duty has been paid and when. If no duty paid then they will state what duty should be paid if I want to register the vehicle.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
I am in a similar position and have spoken to HM Customs they have told me to fill out a c388 form and give a covering letter with as much info as possible particularly chassis number and for a fiver they will check if the import duty has been paid and when. If no duty paid then they will state what duty should be paid if I want to register the vehicle.
Good info ,cheers for sharing :tup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Kapri the best thing to do is to ring them 03000579069 they were very helpful. I have just registered my vehicle after it had been imported over 3 years ago and the only thing they wanted off me was proof of ownership they must be able to do checks on vin. number against their records of vat or email them on [email protected] hope this helps, if you have already done all this sorry, hope you sort it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts