Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering how many of you leave your motors outside all year round and how well they fair up.

Looking at getting a pre 60 chevy pickup but it will have to live its life outside in our beautiful weather all year round.

Just concerned that it will deteriorate before my eyes. Not wanting mine to have a show winning paint job as I want to use and abuse it rather than worry about driving it and it getting dirty.

·
All the gear, no idea!
176 Posts
Had my '55 Chevy step-side pickup for 2 years now, and it lives outdoors. It had a DIY paint job when I got which has lost it's shine (not that it had much in the first place, and the fact I've only washed it 3 or 4 times in the time I've owned it!). There's a couple of places where some filler has cracked, only real area of rust is on the door where I hit a wall. The ply wood pickup bed has warped a bit.

The area it's parked has suffered worse, a Chevy truck size outline of green moss and nice sized puddle of oil.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds promising then, I know that these motors have lasted this long in various weathers but a lot seem to come from dry states and then much later in there life they are then spent in the p*ssing rain.

·
All the gear, no idea!
176 Posts
How good are the weather strips/rubbers?
That's a good point, my door rubbers aren't that good and the doors need realigning, so when it rains at the right angle I get a small puddle inside. But with rubber flooring it's no problem. Did think of getting a cover, but could not be arsed with putting it on (especially if it's raining), taking it off and finding some where to store when not in Use.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
the good thing is that as the doors are never really a perfect fit, any water that gets in often comes back out at the step again:D Remember some of these trucks come from North Dakota, etc where their snow is much worse than ours. They were built to be abused. If you get one that's full of bondo, then for sure it will crack in our climate, but one of the tricks is to drive the damn thing year round, maybe not daily but at least weekly and it'll keep it all working, just like any other car really, they were built to work and live outside. Different if you restore or rod one to mint condition of course!

the one above, nice patina, but new owner is restoring it

above and below, the same truck, below good to keep outside, but above now garage kept by new owner.

below, in stock just now, no worries, leave it where you like

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Love the transformation, he done a nice job. I prefer the slightly battered look lol as long as the stance is spot on.
thanks for that mate, it was us who did the transformation on his behalf. Stanc ene that one is bog standard, but it does have a strong 4 bolt main 350 V8 in it, but a floor shift manual trans where a TH350 auto would have been better. It can shift though:D

·
Vendor
3,444 Posts
i reckon most of these old trucks have survived the outdoors in not so friendly climates including the socalled farm fresh units for 60 + yrs so a few more winters wont hurt them buy what you like & worry about it once you,ve got it if you make it too nice you,ll never drive it , theres nothing you cant buy for them anyway so any repairs down the road is no big deal , good luck with the hunt RAY A in sf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts