Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need help!!!

Ive done done an oil change on my 78 Trans am that I think has a 400 1970 or 71 GTO engine in it. (Yet to be confirmed nuts it a 400).

After consulting the hand book it says in needs 5 quarts of oil.

I drained the existing oil to find that only 2 came out (granted it was on a bit of an incline)

I pour in the full 5.

In the morning I checked the dipstick and from what I can tell theres loads in there and Im parranoid theres to much oil in there. The dipstick has one line (about 2cm from the bottom) and i dont know if thats a min or max line. Currently the oil is showing its miles above that.

The only other marking on the dipstick is a kinda slanted E symbol.

I have been told that the T/A doesnt need much oil but dont know how much!

Please help as i know it sounds simple but this is my first Yank Tank and would like to keep her running.

Thanks,

Steve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, ive drained of enough to get level with that line. so far so good. No grinding or clanking noises! however the oil pressure guage isnt going as high as it used to. its no where need the red line but im wondering if its cos its new oil????

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
5qts is correct for that engine. Did you check the level before you ran it as if so it will read high before the filter fills up. Not sure why there was only 2 came out but that's nowhere near enough and I know it takes more!:)
Can you take a digital pic of the dipstick to show the markings?
You need to be on level ground to get a full drain and true accuracy.
What oil have you put in?
Oil pressure should really be same as before depending on what was in there.
In my Hemi I ussed Penrite instead of the existing Valvoline and gained 10psi hot and cold.

ps. I'm pretty sure now that it was a '71.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5qts is correct for that engine. Did you check the level before you ran it as if so it will read high before the filter fills up. Not sure why there was only 2 came out but that's nowhere near enough and I know it takes more!:)
Can you take a digital pic of the dipstick to show the markings?
You need to be on level ground to get a full drain and true accuracy.
What oil have you put in?
Oil pressure should really be same as before depending on what was in there.
In my Hemi I ussed Penrite instead of the existing Valvoline and gained 10psi hot and cold.

ps. I'm pretty sure now that it was a '71.
Hello again,

Dont know about what oil was in there but the new is Kendall GT-1 SEA 20W-50.

Once i filled it before starting her the level was 3 inch above that single line on the dipstick and that was on a level surface.

I will take pics tmoz of dipstick and post (of to Xmas works do now!)

I then drained alot off, then i turned her over and drove down end of road and back. Level was then alittle but below that line.

I seem to remember before i did the change the olf oil level was on that line aswell.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
There should be an extra quart if you change the filter as well so a total of 6qts. Those are American quarts though which are a little less than our 2 pints. You can do an accurate conversion online though the total capacity in real imperial is just over a gallon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. i may have to do a proper level drain and see how much comes out and work it back from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a picture of my dipstick :eek::lol:

I have got the oil level to just above that line and the oil pressure is back to normal. I think there is more than 2 quarts in there as I must have put 3 in and there must have been some left over as i didnt do a level drain (Ive learnt my lesson for next time!)

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
That stick looks like it has been redone? You must establish that you have the right amount of oil in there. If it has 5qts plus a full filter then you're ok.
Next change needs to be on level ground/warm and then when you fill you can check the dipstick calibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts