Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, do some preliminary work at your workplace, especially on a veeery quiet Saturday morning, bend up some 35x3 steel tube to create a lower bed side rail, incorporating an up and over for the axle, cut some more tube (25x2) for the top rails, some 12x1.5 for the upper 'hidden' rails, bend some 42x3 for supports, cut some 35x3 for the support sliders, cut/drill some 50mm flat bar for the front mounts.
Cut your 50x50 box section to size, hole saw some 35mm holes to take the aforementioned 35mm tube, then take home and assemble:

Mock it all up at the desired height, then get welding....

Hey presto, no axle stands!! Once everything is sitting fine, I will drill through the two rearmost tubes, and bolt through...

Then to fit the top 'hidden' tubes:

These are to fix the sides to, before...you'll see later...

Start sticking on some of my free sheet steel, it would have been easier if I had of had full sheets, but beggars can't be choosers...

Do the front and rear sections, then cut the middles to size, before jigsawing out the kickup, but first some inspiration...

Trim down the sides so they are the same height, then weld on the top tubes...

Then, after tacking the sides to the thin tube, gently roll the tops over...

Weld along the edges, taking care not to get too much heat into the sides (unlike me... :(), then you are left with this...

All done for tonight, started work here at 1pm, I have packed everything away, brushed up, washed up, and had me dinner, finished around 5-15pm...;)

Still have to weld the sides sheets up, and make some ends for the top tubes, but hey ho, thats what Sundays are for...!!

Hope you enjoyed that!!??

:smoke:

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Kev, once I set my mind to something... :smoke:

Liam, I liked that shot!!! Hopefully, but no racing, no point, not made it go any quicker, and I need it to go to work in on the Monday (I hope we are talking about the Zodiac...!!!???)

Gary, the neighbours over the road love it, the old boy wants a go in it when it's done!!!
Next door ain't that bothered, they are normally out... :tup:

The kids moan though, they can't hear themselves think (two bedrooms over the garage...!!!)

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course you can dude, just give it a day or so...!!!

I have pics from today, but I am too pissed to post them...!!!

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Guy,

Can I chuck this in the tech articles section ?

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Righto, the almost finished article, although I have figured out that I need to rake the bed abit more, to make the uprights line up with the doors shuts, and the cab back, nothing too hard, just need to shorten the rear supports...!!!

I also trimmed the front wing, to have the rolled edge be level with the bottom of the doors, you can't see it that well in this pic, but it's done...!!!

Still got the front winglets to do on the bed, and figure out a way of sorting the joins in the sheet sides, but not really bothered for a bit, got my eye on a pair of rear wings, so will see if they come up trumps before I go any further into it...!!!

:bigsmile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.