Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Can someone tell me the easy way to measure a wheel rim width with the tyre still fitted?
There must be a simple way to do it if someone can let me into the secret please?

I have various mini wheels at the moment which i am sure are 5.5, 6, 6.5 & 7 inches, and just need a quick way to measure them up fairly accurately.
Many thanks
Tc

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Let all the air out of the tyre then lay it flat against a falt surface. Measure from the flat surface to the back of the wheel rim. Place a flat edge across this to make it easier. Deduct an inch for the tyre bead area and you have your size.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts

On a level surface set the wheel on three wooden blocks 1 all of the same thickness at roughly equal distance around the rim as per first drawing. Then as second drawing mark the guide when the spirit level is level. Then take away the height of block 1 and 2 from the guide mark then you are left with the wheel width.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
A homemade micrometer thing might work. Join two curved bits of wood together at one end so that they can move like a jaw, pop a nail or screw through the other ends, hey presto instant wheel measurer.
A bit like this thing

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts

Here is a drawing of a gauge I made. Tube 1 slides inside tube 2. Simply put it over the wheel c/w tyre and push together mark where the tubes meet, take off and set back to the mark, measure the gap between between the points A and B then you have the rim width. Made mine from a tubing for a caravan adjustable awning pole which I got from a caravan and camping shop.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Good grief!!

Lay the wheel on the floor and put a straight edge across it. Measure from the bottom the straight edge to the floor. measure from the straight edge to the point inside the curved rim of the wheel. take twice this last distance from the first measurement and you'll be near enough. Jees, plus or minus 1/4" (sorry, 6.4mm) is close enough!!!!

I'll get me coat!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic Guys. I knew there would be an easy way that was near enough, sometimes its just the simplest things, i never thought of letting the tyre down LOL! Nor did i think of making the gauge out of another material other than metal, ie plywood or thick plastic!

Great ideas Guys thanks for the drawings and sharing your knowledge.:cool:
Many thanks
Tc :tup::tup::tup:

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
You don't need to let the tyres down, as you are taking one dimension form another, this compensates for the tyre anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Bradings drawings are good and got me thinking.

If you lay the wheel on the floor and lay a stick thing or pole across the tyre (see diagram) and take a measurement from the floor to the stick thing you will have measurement A.

Then place three bits of wood on the wheel rim (some tyres might be misshapen) and measure from the top of the tyre to the rim giving you measurement B.

Then subtract measurement B from measurement A and you will have the wheel width. This system works with inflated or deflated tyres aswell.

Here's a diagram (i'm not good at drawing).

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Mark just read your reply can see how much easier it is your way than mine. Atta way to go.

Good grief!!

Lay the wheel on the floor and put a straight edge across it. Measure from the bottom the straight edge to the floor. measure from the straight edge to the point inside the curved rim of the wheel. take twice this last distance from the first measurement and you'll be near enough. Jees, plus or minus 1/4" (sorry, 6.4mm) is close enough!!!!

I'll get me coat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts