Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to fit a Speedway motors 'stock style' throwout bearing (this one - GM Stock Clutch Hydraulic Throwout Bearing - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop )

Using a (new) iron flywheel, street strip clutch plate from real steel, ie kevlar one side, organic the other, and a 2400 pound mcloud pressure plate also from real steel. Gearbox is muncie.
And a bellhousing just like this one - Chevy 10.5" Aluminum Bellhousing Corvette Chevelle L88 | eBay

Measuring from rear of bellhousing to clutch fingers gives 61.5mm up to 63mm as some stick out more than others.

Face of transmission to front of release bearing is 66.3 mm.

So if I bolt it all up the fingers will be compressed before any pressure is put into the release bearing so it will slip. And I believe that as the plate wears, the fingers move back which would make the situation worser.

The instructions for the release state that there should be 0.5 to 0.10 inch clearance between the bearing and the fingers (1.3-2.6mm) which I'm clearly someway beneath, about 6mm down. There are shims provided to make the clearance smaller which I sadly do not need.

The bearing lists itself as for non racing clutches only, obviously mine is halfway but is this style of clutch that much thicker then standard parts then? I was under the impression that they were standard style set-ups.

I have thought of getting a plate machined up to go between the bellhousing and gearbox which would provide as much clearance as I need subject to plate thickness but this would then pull the input shaft out of the pilot bearing by the same amount. Which can't be good.

Reasons for hydraulic throwout bearing are lack of space for release arm, and I can't find anyway to bolt on a normal type of slave cylinder.

Help?!

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
two different throwout bearings used on gm,depending on the type of pressure plate, sounds like you need the thin one,looks like you got the thick one.

·
Registered
773 Posts
if its wrong captain ill take it of you so keep me posted please ,good luck !!

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Arses. I did not know that.

The standard clutch has flat fingers and uses a long bearing

HD pressure plate has raised fingers and uses the short bearing.

thats why it wont work with the McCloud pressure plate, the driven plate would not make that much difference .

·
Registered
773 Posts
I bought a carb off you last year didn't I? But yeah I'll let you know what I shall do with it as soon as I know!
which carb was it fella 650 /600 was it billing ? yeh keep me posted if thats kewl thanks hope you sort it though !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which carb was it fella 650 /600 was it billing ? yeh keep me posted if thats kewl thanks hope you sort it though !
Yeah it was a 600 I think, ashamed to say its still on my garage floor. Think I met you by the side of a road in Gloucester?

Looks like this is no use to me now though, I paid 100 pounds plus postage, would 105 posted be cool for you? Also I have a couple of hoses, a 18 insh bleeder and a 36 inch hose to the master cylinder that cost me £40 with the fittings (AN4)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neil, pm'd you back dude.

The standard clutch has flat fingers and uses a long bearing

HD pressure plate has raised fingers and uses the short bearing.

thats why it wont work with the McCloud pressure plate, the driven plate would not make that much difference .
Useful to know, many thanks.

Here is my installed clutch:

These would be raised fingers then?

Are you able to point me in the direction of a hydraulic release bearing that would suit this application, anyone? Preferably one slightly less hideously expensive than the mcloud one listed with real steel, (that I cant seem to get a straight answer if it'll even fit?!)

·
Premium Member
14,681 Posts
looking at the 2 pics can't you press the bearing off the carrier and machine the carrier down where the bearing sits and then press the bearing back on?

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,681 Posts
next idea...... what about getting the flywheel skimmed the 6mm you need? you could take 2-3mm off the face that bolts to the crank side as well to allow for clutch wear.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
next idea...... what about getting the flywheel skimmed the 6mm you need? you could take 2-3mm off the face that bolts to the crank side as well to allow for clutch wear.
wouldnt like to say thats a good idea.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
how about a version of this,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts