Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of points I would like clarification on please before I press on.

Glass must be E marked, but can I use glass from a Japanesse car with equivelent markings as listed in the cross reference section and mix them for different windows?.

I read that dash warning lights and switches have to have standard symbols, is it compusary to label all and which warning lights functions are required as a minimum?

Dashboard construction as understand it can be a smooth painted surface but needs to have non rigid material at the bottom. How far up the dash do you think this should be, I was thinking as it rolls under where your legs would be mostly out of sight, correct?

Thanks

Rich

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Having been for my first BIVA the other day I can confirm they require EC43 marks , nothing else is CURRENTLY acceptable ( watch this space ) .Jap stuff , I believe , comes under de-registration documents now so window spec is not checked ( Phunkie Highboy can be more accurate as to why they escape and reason ) .

Compulsory to label all warning lights so that means high beam , indicators, fog ,low fluid level as a minimum but anything there , and switch functions must be marked. You can buy sheets of decals from Vehicle Wiring products to label your own for a couple of quid .

As you are using late model column all switches will be ready marked ?

The car I was with failed on projections on the side of the heater so the best bet is to fully enclose the underdash area on the footwell, that black finish hardboar as used in most modern cars is adequate. 19mm rad required on bottom of rigid dask area.

Don't forget to radius your pedals and pads ( where not protected by compulsory anti slip.)

Figaro switches are nice ( Marians one is parked in the driveway ) but don't meet projections specs.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the response Kev.

I just have to find a European car with square windows the correct size for the doors. I am using modern column with most of the switches included and marked so relatively simple for the extra items

Cheers

Rich

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pop Dreamer give me a call if you are interested in meeting up, I thought I was the only active rodder in Glastonbury but you are the second to show up in the last month.

Home 01458-860378
Mob 07771-615087

Rich

Edit:

Are you the guy I met in Shepton at the Honda garage a couple of years ago?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
If the gaps in the doors where filled over then it would be OK?
A point that we raised but the tester wasn't commenting ;)

Kit car builders have used BS standard glass in the past and the marks were acceptable for SVA. However under BIVA currently only EC43 spec is allowable.
Front glass is easy to sort on a rod as you can use LandRover or Fiat Uno screens to cut down, it's the side glass that becomes an issue. I'm looking into clarification of glass " carrying the manufacturers mark " but can't do it until the current car is retested ( for a variety of reasons )

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pop Dreamer give me a call if you are interested in meeting up, I thought I was the only active rodder in Glastonbury but you are the second to show up in the last month.

Home 01458-860378
Mob 07771-615087

Rich

Edit:

Are you the guy I met in Shepton at the Honda garage a couple of years ago?
Yes I am that guy, was it as long ago as a couple of years? Christ!

Progress on the Pop has been very slow due to time and cash etc.

Who is the other rodder in Glastonbury?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
They use a littel pantograpgh style thing that sits on the seat that decides whether you have a windscreen ( needs EC43 marks ) or a wind deflector ( that doesn't). I can find out about no screen at all next time I speak to VOSA. It never used to be a problem with SVA but would have to check for BIVA.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Glass must be E marked, but can I use glass from a Japanesse car with equivelent markings as listed in the cross reference section and mix them for different windows?.Rich
Having been for my first BIVA the other day I can confirm they require EC43 marks , nothing else is CURRENTLY acceptable ( watch this space ) .Jap stuff , I believe , comes under de-registration documents now so window spec is not checked ( Phunkie Highboy can be more accurate as to why they escape and reason ) .
In my experience most if not all Japanese cars come triple marked.............. JIS for japan, AS for USA and E marked.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a look round a scrappie at the weekend and you are right most of the Japanese stuff has an E mark as well. I did find a MK1 Fiesta door glass that might do the job on the door but I have to find a way of working round the curve.

I think this area is going to be the biggest challenge for closed cars.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I am that guy, was it as long ago as a couple of years? Christ!

Progress on the Pop has been very slow due to time and cash etc.

Who is the other rodder in Glastonbury?
John who is just starting to put together a 27 T. Our group meets up every few weeks on a Monday, call me if you want to come along.

Rich

·
Registered
16 Posts
E 43 glass

Dont know if this will help, but I fitted new glass to the side windows of the Hudson a while ago. I found a guy who fits glass to tractor cabs etc. I gave him hardboard patterns & he cut the glass and got it toughened. It came back complete with E11 43 R markings. Rupe

·
Rod'a'holic
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Rupe

Could you mail me with some contact details please, the glass supplier I have used before could not do this.

Thanks

Rich

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
I had a look round a scrappie at the weekend and you are right most of the Japanese stuff has an E mark as well. I did find a MK1 Fiesta door glass that might do the job on the door but I have to find a way of working round the curve.

I think this area is going to be the biggest challenge for closed cars.
Lorry door glass? they seam to like flat glass.........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.