Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pro tree for me, hate the sportsman tree and there really is no advantage one way or the other. If your car reacts slow, it'll react slow to any tree. As Mark says, the green light is the green light.
How can i explain this better.... (please note that my car is getting better reaction wise and i aint just arguing for myself)

If your car is slow to react then a sportsman tree gives you the opportunity to 'go' earlier. For example you can hit the throttle on the second amber and by the time your car has decided to start rolling the green is there. On a pro tree you will always be a few tenths after the red light.

As for you Andy... Just put something on your visor so you cant see the first 2 ambers ;) You are going to win the race anyway. At east let the opposition experience the effect of you coming passed at full chat. Always enjoyable :tup:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
At east let the opposition experience the effect of you coming passed at full chat. Always enjoyable :tup:
Almost worth getting knocked out in the first round for!
For what it's worth, the Pro tree at York is a 0.5-second tree, just like a Sportsman tree. Everywhere else, a Pro tree is 0.4 seconds.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
As Nige and Nick I've not been involved for a few years but as them remember the start some 15 or so years ago, this was guys at the cruise and shows racing for kicks
at the weekend ,it was for fun but seams to have lost its way if you just want to race join a race only series
limiting number of shows only benefit the fast cars
tree why care as long as every one has the same its for fun as Mark says green is green
slicks,trailers etc on race day why give a shit ,if your car brakes you got to get home its only for fun ,to test your car and the winner is the one with
the most points at the end not the fastest on the day or the fastest who didn't qualify be cause he doesn't do shows
Race meets as shows ,if your interested in racing you'll go to race meets this does not encourage folk to attend shows ,doing both was the idea in the first place
The HRG fought hard to keep the cruises etc to the ethos all this started with so I may upset some folk but for me cut off first built 1970
Mike

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Some fair points Mike, Though I think pre 70 would exclude too many. The variety makes it for most people. Ive never been for FWD mind you, just wrong. That said, I know others see it as a way of getting new blood in. Im in observer mode this weekend as its seems unfair to have a say in influencing the rules when ive been out of it so long.
It has evolved from what it was but these things do I guess. All credit to those who've kept it alive

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
1970 may be a bit harsh just my thoughts but no fwd or 4wd , getting new blood in is one thing but if it means they don't qualify for the show
and crusies whats the point might as well all go buy a subaru
If you recall it was the fwd that got us moved from Morrisons

·
Registered
54 Posts
Checked it out with Des & Murt, if you want Sportsman tree you can have it (simple press of a button)
Your call ;)
Al

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
for me cut off first built 1970
Mike
In the 2013 season, that would have eliminated 5 of the top 10 cars, and half of the qualifying field in total. 15 years ago when this lot started, we had triple or quadruple the number of competitors every year, if not more. If we ever get back to the position where we can afford to turn cars away, THEN we can start worrying about FWD etc. Incidentally, number of FWD or 4WD sign-ups last year? Zero (we did have a Land Rover, but that'd been converted to 2WD and I'm not sure about Joanne's Toyota) so I don't think we're in danger of suddenly being overrun with hot hatches.

Can we have sportsman in 1 lane and pro in the other? :wave:
Yeah, but not tell the competitors which lane will have which tree ... pot luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
IMHO my 1998 TVR ticks some boxes but obviously doesnt tick others in the 'hot rod' stakes.
With a modified V8, nitrous and Mickey thompsons gives it some credit but i do feel out of place at some of the shows and cruises. Maybe it will be recognised in 20 or 30 years.

Or maybe i should get my Rover SD1 into the scene. Then again that is only a 1984 car so still a spring chicken.
Must admit i would love to build a proper rod..... maybe look into it in the next year or 2.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sorry Drakie didn't mean to sound off just ment the series is a 2 part thing but most only do the racing some dont even seam attempt to qualify

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can i second NSCC agm on a different weekend to Swap Meet!! gutted to be missing out on all the quality items that will all be for sale at rock bottom prices

41 - 58 of 58 Posts