Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help ive got a problem with ignition coils keep going on my Jalopy Its a Ford Shay ( model A replica ) its running a 2 ltr Pinto from a Capri but a couple weeks ago wouldn't start Was traced to no spark from coil and so this was replaced along with a change to electronic ignition First outing was to MOT station about 1 mile away. All ran fine there and most of way back just cut out one One return to MOT station yesterday cut out completely but lucky had spare coil and we changed and it ran a dream after about 3 - 5 miles then started up ok hour later when i put it away Then nothing again today not a sign of a spark. Not sure on second coil but first is a ballast type

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,139 Posts
The Pinto engine in whatever Brit car uses a ballasted coil and the ballast is a high resistance wire within the loom . Whether it is like that in the Shay ?

Does it start but then not run or is there no sign of life at all ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kev Thanks for reply We discovered coil had gone (so we thought ) so replaced with new after borrowing one and replaced with electronic ignition Started straight away and ran fine Stalled once on way back from MOT station but we had played with tick over so thought it was that. I then took it Friday to re MOT and it stalled 3 times and would not start again So we replaced coil again Glad i had it in car Then went for drive and it ran better than ever before Parked up and it started straight away ( 1 Hour later ) Then Sat went to start and dead Just turns over and no spark from coil

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,139 Posts
Next time the coil appears dead yo need to check the 12 volt power 'in' cable on the coil . How many leads n that terminal and how many small spade terminals on the starter motor, one or two?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think we may have solved problem found wire from coil to back of ignition switch that was connected with a spade was loose well completely disconnected. Big thanks to everone for there help Fingers crossed that it will be ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts