Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to need a new ignition system for my car (street car) this will be a breakerless dizzy but not hei what are the benifits of these high power coils if any for a road car ? As looking at the summit racing catalouge there is plenty of different systems avalable. Im looking for a good reliable system that will not break the bank. :tup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
When is built my engine, the money was running out so i got a Pro Comp dizzy from the states i think it was about $56 or so, it was a nice piece and worked well with my MSD6al box but when setting the timing up over 3000rpm it would peak at over 40 degree's! and pinked loads! i saved up and got a MSD billet dizzy and the pinking has gone and the timing is spot on! in my opinion it has to be MSD all the way but as said other can be good, u see more MSD units on road and race cars for a reason....

jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the street a decent electronic ignition works fine, Msd fitted in a lot of cars a waste of money, much better value is Summit Racing multi spark kit.
For the street probably the most important thing is a low voltage firing, ( when your battery is a bit low )
If a person selling high end kit tells you to buy xyz, it may be a case of them just after your cash !

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why not a electronic module from Crane Cams or Pertronix? If you have dizzy already and there's no play in the shaft then t's the cheapest option for sure, other than than buying used.

For new I'd say summit also, if you look at the ignition boxes they sell they are clearly Mallory pieces so had enough confidence to buy one to use with a MSD box (summit didn't do a 2 step box) for a race car build. Don't have it yet so can't add anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dizzy

whats wrong with the mopar electronic distributor under 200 dollars on ebay my pal dodge runs all his dodges on them regards baz

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
I'd second the above. I'm a great fan of MSD but on a budget Mopar build I would use the Mopar Performance system...it works really well and is a bargain.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I now have a nice new Mallory Unilight electronic dizzy thanks to Raysal over on the NSRA site. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had a mallory dual point on mine and it was attrocious. I know mallory has a good reputation, but in the 2 years it was on the car the capacitor went, the carbon bush disintegrated, the diaphragm failed and finally the roll pin securing the drive cog sheared off. I've replaced it with an MSD dizzy and 6A box and it is much, much improved. Took 1.1 seconds off my 1/4 mile time and it starts on the button every time. Real sense of quality with the MSD stuff. Shopped around and brought the MSD stuff back from a trip to the US - got a dizzy, 6A controller, 8.5mm leads and blaster 2 coild for the equivalent of £301, but I guess that was when the exchange rates were favourable!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The problem is points as in dual points not Mallory! I fitted a Mallory conversion to a stock points dizzy , it performs faultlessly, electronic ignition is the way to go. The Mallory kit I use has a small module which I mounted on my fire wall and the trigger to replace the stock points, comes with easy instructions. Had it for years and still going strong.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Actually, the points were'nt the problem, although setting the dwell was dead fiddly - it's the way everything else failed.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I've had the other side of the coin :cool: the mallory dual point has been in my T engine for the last 33 years without any problems at all :cool:

Actually, the points were'nt the problem, although setting the dwell was dead fiddly - it's the way everything else failed.

·
Banned
489 Posts
They do have a couple of problems one being the poor quality capacitors which i always replace with a decent lucas jobbie, other problem is that where the wire joins the points it can short out on the body causing all sorts of funny things to happen, easily sorted with a bit of tape.

Guess mine must have been made on a Friday afternoon!

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I've had Mallory stuff and MSD, I pay for MSD all the time now, real nice stuff, decent instruction and tech support too. I use a 6AL, Pro Billet Dizzy, Blaster 2 Coil, their 2Step, RPM Switches and relays. Only issues I had was using the ligter advance spring where they don't settle at idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts