Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351 Windsor that wont start easily when warm

it has a brand new edelbrock carb with electric choke , a brand new fuel pump electronic ignition new coil

from cold it starts very first spin , once running for 30 min it does not want to restart . the only way it fires is throttle wide open and it will spin 10 + times before it will fire again

the carb has a insulator block fitted , any help please guys
thanks

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
From the info you have given it seems to be a electric choke Problem. When the engine is warm check the choke is fully off. If it not, you can adjust the position by slacking off the screws on the choke housing and then adjust it by rotating the housing until the choke is fully off. I'd also check that the choke is releasing when you hit full throttle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same issue and it was becoming a real pain.. Edelbrock recommend the 9266 gasket in fact they say it should be fitted to all their carbs in that range. I bought and fitted one and its been perfect ever since. Not once had a hot start problem. Its not cheap but fixed mine 100%

Mal

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the info you have given it seems to be a electric choke Problem. When the engine is warm check the choke is fully off. If it not, you can adjust the position by slacking off the screws on the choke housing and then adjust it by rotating the housing until the choke is fully off. I'd also check that the choke is releasing when you hit full throttle. Hope this helps.
the choke comes fully open after about 2 mins once throttle is opened , to be honest im not sure if it closes again after a 20 min off period

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issue and it was becoming a real pain.. Edelbrock recommend the 9266 gasket in fact they say it should be fitted to all their carbs in that range. I bought and fitted one and its been perfect ever since. Not once had a hot start problem. Its not cheap but fixed mine 100%

Mal
I already have a 1 inch insulator installed thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 351 Windsor that wont start easily when warm

it has a brand new edelbrock carb with electric choke , a brand new fuel pump electronic ignition new coil

from cold it starts very first spin , once running for 30 min it does not want to restart . the only way it fires is throttle wide open and it will spin 10 + times before it will fire again

the carb has a insulator block fitted , any help please guys
thanks
I don't like electric chokes... they cool off and close the choke again flooding the engine in 10 minutes... but engines take 3 hours to cool... I've thought about adding a linkage and solenoid so the choke can't reclose until I push a button on the dash...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts