Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have imported an American F450 super duty with a tilt and slide body for shifting the toys I have, will not be used for hire or reward.

Its 1992 manufacture and came into Ireland when new and was registered there. Now its in UK with me, I have declared its import to HM cust and excise, and there is no VAT due, waiting for DVLA pack to get a reg number for road use.

However as its 4.2 tonne unlaiden and max gross of 7.5 its classed as HGV , how do I get it plated as the local VOSA test centre will not book it in for MOT without the plate.

Prevoiusly we had a VOSA operating centre but these have all now been closed and the local town test centre which are all private operations do not plate vehicles---------any thoughts.

F450 2.jpg

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
i knew when they shut all the proper VOSA stations, shit like this would happen, you just used to take them to the VOSA for first MOT and plating at the same time, now it seems to be a complete fuck up.
I'll give stucos on here a shout, I think his company has one of the ATFs on site and he has contacts in VOSA.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just had similar issues with an F350 dually, registered here when new but been in Spain & storage for 5 years so no recent MOT. Local MOT place said might be class 7 but it's over the 3500kg weight limit so that was out, eventually found a guy on another forum who is an advisor for VOSA, he told me normal class 4 MOT, classed as a heavy motor car (no weight limit) & gave me a couple of names to mention to MOT place if they argued. The only problem then is that you have to find a "normal" MOT place that can mot something that weighs that much as most regular mot station ramps only take 3 tonnes.
From here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/185 "heavy motor car" means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor car, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen exceeds 2540 kilograms,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Shovelheadrob,

thanks for your input, you have the advantage that it was previously registered.

For what it is worth there is a list of vehicles that are exempt from HGV MOT's and on the bottom of the list of 33 heading is 'large American pick up trucks', try that one if you dare.

I've had words with STUCOS on here and he has been helpful, but the way I see it at the moment this is the way it has to flow:-

1. Inform HM rev & cust using Nova system
2. Have it IVA tested
3 Apply for plating at same tima as IVA if poss
4. First - Standard MOT
5. Apply to Swansea DVLA for registration and TAX

I went through the document of 212 pages which is the manual for IVA relevant to HGV (N2&N3) its not as bad as it seems, mainly looking for E marks on items, positioning of lighting, tyres mirrors, seat belts, glass. Mudguards, flaps, reflectors, seat mountings , seat belt mountings, exhaust outlet, emissions,

Tis shyte, if it was over 25 years old you home and dry as copied below:-

Purpose of this document
To describe the policy and procedures for IVA to be followed in order for N2/N3 vehicles up to 25 years old to become approved for registration following the implementation of ECWVTA. Vehicles over 25 years old do not require type approval or IVA before registration, although they will require submission to VOSA for a Plating examination and first annual test. (unless manufactured before 1968).[/I
]

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
The move to 25 years has only just happened , always used to be 10 years like cars. I've heard talk that they are considering the same with cars now :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts