Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Costing up the shipping of a vehicle from the states, does anyone know what sort of UK clearances fee's can be expected?

Cheers

Gotzy

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I've found such a variation - even from different ports but the same agent!

I had a quote from Golden Chariot that shows a fee of £375 for ' UK Dest./Custom Fees etc.' plus another document charge of £70

(the vat and duty are amounts are listed seperately!)

This was PER CAR!!!

I'd phone up and ask!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Steve speak to Alan, Mark or Steve at Kingstown shipping.
I think one of those guys is no longer with the company - I want to say Alan but I'll check in the morning - I was dealing with them on some shipping a few months back and my point of contact changed mid-shipment due to a 'leaving'!

I'd check the usual suspects and some maybe not so obvious ones as costs DO vary dramatically as has been the case in the last 31 years that we've been importing cars!

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I had an unhappy importation experience with a very well known American Car importer last year, it was a very DIY, I had to chase every little thing but of course your experience may be entirely different. I shipped several trailers in a few years back with the another company, there was a problem on everyone and the agents are only interested in doing the minimum for the maximum.
Next time I will follow Mr Lang's advise, personal recommendation from someone who knows what's what is a good place to start

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Scratch that - Jon Isaac left Kingstown if that means anything to anyone!

I agree with Rog, we had the same agent since '78 until they retired last year - what I've found since is that it varies depending on where you are shipping out of!

I've used Kingstown from time to time as they act for Schumacher Cargo both of whom have always provided me with good service!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Guys,

I've e-mailed Steve at Kingstown so I'll let you know what he says.

Gotzy

·
Anorak
35 Posts
I have used Kingstown many times and they are excellent.

If your container gets selected for customs X Ray you can add £80, if it gets selected for examination after X Ray expect a charge of another 100 - 200. If they take their time getting to it (It can take a while!) expect to pay rent on the box of anything from 12 to 30 a day (20ft) After the first seven days.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, agree with Steve and the others, I used Kingstown shipping to bring the 59 chevy back, they we're excellent..... no problems at all,

If you need their phone number its 01482 374116

Mike

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had the following response from Kingstown regarding a Pre 50 vehicle import from Calship in LA, might help someone else.

Cheers

Gotzy

We work with California Shipping and have done so for the past 15 years or so and they load shared containers of vehicles for us.

Typically you will have 3 vehicles in a 40' container and we move these containers to our warehouse located near to each port for the unpacking.

Approximate destination fees on a single car in a shared container are between £330.00 - £380.00 gbp

This covers a range of charges, a summary of these are;

crane container from vessel, local handling, import docs
Lifts of container from stack to haulier
Local container haulage to warehouse
Warehouse handling / unload vehicles from container / dispose of packing debris
Restitute empty container to quay
Customs clearance / import documentation
Government and port security

As you say the taxes will be 5% VAT on invoice value plus freight.

California Shipping normally ship into Thamesport or Felixstowe.

For UK Customs clearance we have to provide a copy title (which we receive from California Shipping), copy bill of sale and completed C384 form.

The containers typically unpack around 4-5 days after the vessel arrives. The warehouse then allow a further 6 days of free storage for the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts