Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys,and ladies,i am thinking of importing a car from abroad it is in spain,,it is a 52 olds,i know there is no duty to pay because of the eu,can anyone give me info on what i should know ,ie will it need an sva,hassle invoved,shipping etc,any info much appreciated,

·
Registered
778 Posts
As far as I know you just get it MOT'd and then pop down to your local DVLA office with the Spanish paperwork and get a number . If the car isn't registered in Spain (ie Imported to there but not put on the road) then it'll be a bit more complicated .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also you should use a gestor to check the car has no back due tax or any other debt linked to it as law in Spain transfers this to the new owner, Oh and I can drive it over for you ....
Geo

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
Hassle with reg depends on whether it is a stock Olds or modified and which Local Office you use .If it's stock don't worry, if it's modified post back up and I'll explain the way to deal with it all.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
importing

hi guys,thank you for your replies,th ad i have seen is on www.carandclassic.co.uk,it is on p2 under oldsmobile and it is a 1950 car,chopped,i am smelling a rat as he has it advertised as sweden ,then tells me it is in spain,no other pics available,said it needs glass but in the pics it has glass all round,i asked him for an address but he hasnt responded at all,and he wants cash in full up front ,does anyone know of this seller,am i being too cautious?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
hi guys,thank you for your replies,th ad i have seen is on www.carandclassic.co.uk,it is on p2 under oldsmobile and it is a 1950 car,chopped,i am smelling a rat as he has it advertised as sweden ,then tells me it is in spain,no other pics available,said it needs glass but in the pics it has glass all round,i asked him for an address but he hasnt responded at all,and he wants cash in full up front ,does anyone know of this seller,am i being too cautious?
Sounds like a 100% scam to me I'm sorry to say . Say you have a fellow rodder in Spain who will check it out for you...bet you never here from him again .:tdown:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
SCAM ! check the pics out ... looks like car is in usa to me , it also has a phone number on the for sale sign on the car thats different to the one for contacting him ...!

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
FYI:
+47 is Norway code

Looks like a guy who imports from the USA.

I couldn't see anything about Spain on the listing.

I thought, (from experience), that to modify anything in Spain, other than hanging furry dice from the mirror, is frowned upon big time, and when you have your car tested at the ITV (MOT) Station you have to convert it back to original to get a pass, then put all the goodies on again afterwards!

My friend had to put her Renault Clio back to factory spec to get a pass, which entailed taking off the improved front shock absorbers and also putting the factory steering wheel back on!! It handled like a bag of shit afterwards, but rules is rules, with tons of paperwork to go with it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you

cheers everyone for your input,will give this one a miss,i spammed him with questions today and not one reply on any of them,just goes to show how easy people can be ripped off,thanks ,will look elsewhere,pete:sniff:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts