Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a couple of cars, both have bigger engines installed but both have original logbooks,Both built in the mid nineties.Would there be any problems with DVLA in changing engine details or should I avoid them

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,342 Posts
When you say original logbooks , do you mean up to date v5C nut not correct info in there OR original v5 ( not C) which aren't on the main system at the moment? If they don't carry the correct details then despite being built in the 90s there is no grandfather rights available should there be later issues.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I recently applied to have the engine details changed for my 49 pick up, as the engine size was increased. I received a letter back from dvla asking for, receipts for engine, or letter from manufacturer, or independent garage (cant remember word for word but something along those lines). I started thinking here we go this will be a problem, Any way next day the V5 arrives in the post with all the changes made...Someone at the dvla is obviously a bit unsure of the rules??

·
Registered
777 Posts
The proof of engine details does NOT apply to Historic vehicles . Sometimes the date of manufacture of the vehicle and the fact it is Historic needs to be pointed out to DVLA .

Articles over at www.the-ace.org.uk | The Association Of Car Enthusiasts covering this and much other clarification of regulations / pubtalk.
I did as you advised Kev and included a covering letter pointing the fact out that it is historic, and yet the DVLA still get confused! Anyway no problem, all turned out ok!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
hi, my capri was a 1.6 laser and now has a violent 2.8 v6 and my cars due for m.o.t soon, will i have any problems sending my logbook off for changing engines over??

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I tried to get my Model Y (Standard ) -taxed after arranging insurance but online wasn't acceptable so went to the main P.O. who said i had to send it away as the V5 said "not licenced" !!!
I also updated the engine from 855 to 1172 -still waiting but i took her for a little trip in the sun today anyway.
Louie

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,342 Posts
You can only change taxation class when you tax the car at a LO ...hang on, there aren't any left open. So it's send to Swansea and hope for the best...which based on recent dealings hasn't improved despite that ( supposedly) being the whole reason they closed the LOs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.