Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
little problem with the indicator's on the teardrop/27T

indicators work fine on the 'T'!
indicators work fine on the 'teardrop' when connected to the towbar on my mondeo!
but when they are together (T and teardrop) i only get a weak flash on both the T and the teardrop! like the extra effort to power the lights on the trailer is draining the power!
dont think its the earth as the brakes/sidelights all work fine

any idea's

ian

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
little problem with the indicator's on the teardrop/27T

indicators work fine on the 'T'!
indicators work fine on the 'teardrop' when connected to the towbar on my mondeo!so the teardrop wiring is ok
but when they are together (T and teardrop) i only get a weak flash on both the T and the teardrop! like the extra effort to power the lights on the trailer is draining the power!how do you mean weak? are they dim on the teardrop, as in low brightness?
dont think its the earth as the brakes/sidelights all work finesounds logical

any idea's

ian
I would agree with Kev, fit a couple of relays at the socket on the T for the indicators. Run a good positive to the relays, and use the left and right indicator wires to do the switching of that positive to your l and r output pins

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any chance you could do a simple wiring diagrame for me as im no good at all with electrics!
failing that it may get some running repairs at the hotrod n hills do lol

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steve if i go to my local motorfactors and say that ill get nowt! its not like the old days when you could just ask for something they need to no year, model, shoe size etc,could you recomend a model car that would do the job ive a two pin mini one on the car

·
Banned
489 Posts

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Just put in a heavy duty flasher unit Ian, The standard one isn't capable of carrying the extra load.
That may be the case Mr Lang, however I have thought a bit about this today, and had a thought. If the wiring o the rear lights has some resistance, then a heavy duty relay will make no difference at all.
The way I read this post, the lights are dimmer than they should be, that would indicate resistance, it could even be resistance in the indicator switch.

The simple way to check is drop another bulb in parrallel with the rear ones, and see if that dims the existing indicators.

Diagram to follow when I have had me snap.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep thats what is happening sid the lights on both the rod and trailer when connected are flashing dimmer but are ok when not connected (trailer on another car)
sent the wife in for a relay as you had discribed steve and she has come back with a four pin job :shake: no good with electrics me :tdown:
hopfully some kind hotrodder will take a quick look at it at the hotrod n hills do for me :D (if i dont get a wagon up my arse on the way there)

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Ok, a quick lesson in electrics, for anybody who wants to read it.

A relay is quite simply a bloody big switch. Rather than having a big switch on the dashboard to handle a heavy current load, we use relays, so small wires can go behind the dash, and the hard work is done by a relay. It's exactly the same as a solenoid on top of a starter motor.
That little black box called a relay contains some bendy bits of metal, and a coil of wire. When we shove some volts into the coil, with a bit of magnetism and other jiggery pokery, it pulls the bendy contacts together and makes a contact.

Just think of it as a remotely operated switch.

Right squek, back to your problem.
Any auto relay has at least 4 contacts. Conveniently they are numbered.

85 and 86 are the ones that do the coil, 30 and 87 are the big switch part of it.
So heres the challenge.

Bring a fair size wire from the battery +ve to pin 30, via a 10amp fuse.
Pin 85 take to chassis.
Pin 86 take to the indicator on one side of the car, probably easier if you remove wire from towball socket.

Pin 87 take to towball socket pin, that you just removed wire from.

That's it.
Now if the calculations are correct, you will have trailer with one very bright light, and one dim.
Then all you have to do is get another relay, and repeta for the other indicator. You can use the same feed wire from the battery, it's unlikely you will have both indicators on at the same time.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just to update this thread, before i set of for the hotrods n hills weekend last week, i bought another flasher relay to try as sidspop had discribedabove. (cheers mate for the help) before i set to with the wiring i tried the new relay as a straight swap for the old one just connecting the supply and indecator switch terminals on the relay (it had 3 to pic from) and hay presto it work'd :D so no need to rewire the rear lights on the car :tup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.