Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I built a garage in my back garden, but in the hurry to get it done I didn't put a pit in it.
I'am thinking of putting one in, is there any regs etc that I should follow, or anyone on here actually put one in? I found a company (mech-mate) who make fibreglass liners, but there isn't any prices on there website. Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Gary.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I built my pit before I built the garage. A very useful bit of kit. It's used nearly every weekend.

·
Rust buster...
602 Posts
Horrible things... inspection pits. There's lots of reasons you can't have them in a new build workshop. The HSE hate them for good reason. I know a lot of you think they are fine though. And they are either if you know about working in them, or you have been lucky.

Technically you need building regs approval to put a pit in

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
Long narrow indoor swiming pool........

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,746 Posts
When I started in the motor trade we had a few pits. Hated them. They were an accident blackspot compared to the rest of the shop which had ramps.
Always remember that fumes are heavier then air and treat them with respect.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Hi Gary. I'm with you on the pit....cos I aint got room for a lift! If you know someone with a mini digger and you can get one in your garage it will save loads of time. If you dont know anyone then tell Sue at Kilkee and I'll sort a number out for you. Either way, just make sure you put an extractor fan in line.....dont want petrol fumes lurking around the bottom
Russ

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi,ive got a pit in my workshop,17foot long 4foot wide inside,top width 105e anglia just goes over,painted white fully lit by floresent lights power sockets fitted to avoid cables trailing into pit,its made out of old central heating oil tanks welded together,the area in the workshop was marked out an the concrete cut an removed then the digging started,took 9days but did have to go to work aswell,concrete was put in the bottom an sides then 4inch cold store insulation,then the steel tank was lowered in,then the top part was built out of 3x4 inch angle ,pit boards were made,found a pit jack in scrapyard an recond it ,job done would be lost without it.could not have a lift as not enough hight.only live about 5miles from coast in very flat area and the pit is dry as a bone......cheers DAVE

·
Registered
420 Posts
:tdown:

If you go the pit route make sure that its long enough to be able to get out from under the car without having to move it. Know its capacity and stick to it.
I used to work with a guy who, while fixing a fuel leak dropped the lead lamp. he had to push the burning TR7 (that long ago) off the pit to get out.
He spent years dressing like the invisible man, has webbed fingers and ears like Nikki Lauda.
Pits.
Dangerous places.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have four poster ramp two mobile ramps and a pit which we use for mots.
I have worked with many two posters and lots off four posters they all have there pro and cons ?
For any mech work the four poster
Any long engine work or gearboxes we use mobile unit in outside unit
But for ez of use pit hands down . And if we move I put in two pits
U look for a rattle or sweak on suspenion on a 4 or 2 post er it won't happen
We have lights and Elec plugs and side tool stores in ours ?

We Mot lots I mean lots of odd ball cars every week one off our trade cust
Restores triumphs and jags we Mot 3 off his regulars Austin 7 which is the only car we struggle with ????
And gess what we moted today

Al

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
When I built my garage a few years ago I put a pit in but was told it had to be double brick lined so it ended up a bit narrow! Also they took a 45 degree line in from the base of the walls and said it couldn't be any deeper than the lines. It was useful though.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have a pit. Its a whole lot shorter than the Chevy. I need to have the doors open and push the tail outside to get in down the steps.
I also find it fills with water n needs pumping out regularly.
Its a pain in the ass most of the time, but priceless when I need it.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your comments, looks like a pit for me in the new year,dispite some of the horror stories. While i'm digging i'll be putting in an extractor system for fumes etc (didn't think of that originally,thanks whoever mentioned it) and will be looking at a Mech-mate liner now i've got a pricelist. Checked locally and the water table is over 3mts down where we live,so shouldn't have that worry. Cheers again to all of you who took the time to answer, have a Happy Christmas!!

Gary.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have four poster ramp two mobile ramps and a pit which we use for mots.
I have worked with many two posters and lots off four posters they all have there pro and cons ?
For any mech work the four poster
Any long engine work or gearboxes we use mobile unit in outside unit
But for ez of use pit hands down . And if we move I put in two pits
U look for a rattle or sweak on suspenion on a 4 or 2 post er it won't happen
We have lights and Elec plugs and side tool stores in ours ?

We Mot lots I mean lots of odd ball cars every week one off our trade cust
Restores triumphs and jags we Mot 3 off his regulars Austin 7 which is the only car we struggle with ????
And gess what we moted today

Al
al you need a narrower pit..

·
Registered
850 Posts
Filled mine in, won't fall in it again and it won't get in the way when trying to jack something up. If you have more than single bay then you mileage may differ...

·
Registered
282 Posts
My dad has a pit in his garage at the end of the garden,as well as a sissor lift! Its great for clutch/gearbox work & is boarded over when not in use so the cars can be moved around without worry.
Its been there since he built the garage in the early 70's, so building regs were not what they are now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts