Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford originally had a centre horn push in the original steering wheel, but I don't have the original wheel and the column has been modified to suit the rack & pinion steering conversion. So, I now have a Moon type wheel BUT they don't do a horn push to suit a '57 Ford...... I've bought the horn push assembly for a 58 Ford, but I have no idea how to go about making it work. How the hell can I get a live feed up the centre of the (hollow) steering shaft and get it to work when the wheel is going from lock to lock?

I'll take a photo on Friday to show the set up if it helps, but someone must have made a horn centre push from scratch before.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Hi there I don't know if any of this helps but on My zodiac there is a live feed (wire) going up the centre of the column,when it exits the column there is an insulating washer, then a spring and finally a mushroom shaped crimp to stop it all coming apart and its also the contact for the horn. The column is earthed and completes the circuit when bridged with the centre wire, the horn push/ button has a centre contact which sits on the "mushroom" and the button /horn push edge contacts the column outer with a metal contact that sits under the middle of the button. So when the button is pressed the feed flows up the column through the button to the column outer (earth) completing the circuit, sorry if it all sounds garbled but thats the best I can describe it I would put a picture on but my printer is broken.
Good luck getting it sorted Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Hi there I don't know if any of this helps but on My zodiac there is a live feed (wire) going up the centre of the column,when it exits the column there is an insulating washer, then a spring and finally a mushroom shaped crimp to stop it all coming apart and its also the contact for the horn. The column is earthed and completes the circuit when bridged with the centre wire, the horn push/ button has a centre contact which sits on the "mushroom" and the button /horn push edge contacts the column outer with a metal contact that sits under the middle of the button. So when the button is pressed the feed flows up the column through the button to the column outer (earth) completing the circuit, sorry if it all sounds garbled but thats the best I can describe it I would put a picture on but my printer is broken.
Good luck getting it sorted Charlie
The live goes to the horn or relay and the wire coming up the column is the earth wire and the circuit gets completed as you say by the horn button connecting it to the column which is earth.

Rog.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi had so much trouble with the grant wheel on my zephyr , the horn push kept comming loose
it would fall off or sound constant , so I fitted a mk2 cortina indicator stork it has flashers
horn main beam and flashers works a lot better
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts