Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i want to change the intake set-up on my engine, currently has a tunnel ram/twin holley & i want to go single carb so i can take the scoop of the bonnet
& replate the hole.
what will work,whilst improving economy & low end grunt?

·
richard rawlplug
8,121 Posts
a dual plane manifold will help...not a racey single plane job..

650 vac sec holley...or edelbrock carb....

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Edelbrock RPM Airgap----Edelbrock 750 (1407) excellent setup for street / strip.

That's my opinion of course :tup:

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
Edelbrock RPM Airgap----Edelbrock 750 (1407) excellent setup for street / strip.

That's my opinion of course :tup:
i used to run that set up complete with edelbrock rpm heads and cam,good usable set up.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ta guys,
i'm getting the picture now,the trouble is that i have no intention of taking her up the strip, so what i really want is to use the low end power & not be revving the tits out of the motor.:!:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you don't plan any strip visits I would use one of the manifolds aimed at street performance. The Edelbrock Performer is a good choice, but basically small runners to keep the velocity of the mixture up.
Also a smaller carb like a 600 or 650 Holley will give better throttle response than a 750[ that means better off idle and mid range where we do our driving in the 'real world']
A good 383 is a torque engine and with a sensible cam will be fun without being too thirsty.
I run a 350 sbc with a mild hydraulic comp cams cam, a Street Dominator manifold and Muncie box and am satisfied with the performance, plus I can afford to drive it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is the engine spec,, cr, cam duration etc
this is all i know;
10.5-1cr
lt1 cam/ intake 107 / exhaust 117 / duration 234*
1.6 roller rockers
jackson gear drive
mallory dizzy
msd ign.

this may help someone with more knowledge than me!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
performer rpm and 750 vac sec holley and spend some time getting the jetting correct,, although i have always found that the double pumper is pretty good when jetted right.. and use a dizzy with vac advance if possible as it helps fuel economy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
u can have my edelbrock rpm inlet and 750 carb £150 thats cheap the carb worked well in the black 55 gasser on the 383
hi rob,
thanks mate i'll take it, i not made of money & was just making sure that i was'nt going to buy something else that does'nt suit my needs.
i'l call you tomorrow :tup:
ta rik :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
when i first built the motor in my nova i bought the whole rpm package but i have now pulled the cam and installed a smaller comp cam as with a manual 5-speed at 60mph it was flat and always overfueling the motor and fouling plugs, this took dyno time to find this out although by that time i had washed the bores and wasted the motor so a rebuild was on the cards! i have now also dropped to a 600 cfm holley and the new motor runs way better on the street, the rpm package is only worthwhile if its going to see tracktime too, bigger was certainly not better!

·
Registered
340 Posts
hi all, i want to change the intake set-up on my engine, currently has a tunnel ram/twin holley & i want to go single carb so i can take the scoop of the bonnet
& replate the hole.
what will work,whilst improving economy & low end grunt?
Hello my 2 cents / 1.6 pence.. been buiding Chevy 383 stokers since 1978
and have tried evey intake & carb combonation known to man... i think

Anyway i suggest you go with Ed's AIR GAP intake to improve low end responce overall your best choice there.... far as carb goes.. you could load 600 CFM holley in MOST cases it will be LEAN... you will have to UP the primary jets from 66 to prox 70's....... rear plate MAY have to be drilled to .072th .... last 383 we dyno'd with DUAL PLANE AIR GAP & 600 / 1850 Holley this is what with had to do to get A/F ratio's correct.
Cheers! Dr.Dee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts