Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TechnicalTom
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an engineering company/ individual to put splines on some thick wall tubing for my planned Torsion bar project, I can fabricate the parts myself , but the broaching of very small quantity is not available locally.The torsion bars I am looking at are Peugeot and( on the standard car )they go into what seems to be cast steel so cutting out and machining parts of the Peugeot rear arms is a no no.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
We use a place, Stoners, in Clevedon, but it's a long ways from you Tom! They do standard broached stuff for our valve work, but don't know if they can do internal splining.

·
Nowheresville
3,051 Posts
If the Peugeot rear arms are cast steel, why can't you cut the required pieces out and mount them to your whatever?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
If you have access to a lathe and some changewheels you could broach the splines yourself. This video is of cutting a gear, but the process is the same for internal or external splines.

·
TechnicalTom
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have access to a lathe and some changewheels you could broach the splines yourself. This video is of cutting a gear, but the process is the same for internal or external splines.
I do have a good Harrison 190 Lathe also a small Quantrum Lathe,at the moment our broadband is too slow to view the video above .but I will give it a go,thanks for the great input so far.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have done all sorts of machining on a lathe, but never tried broaching like that, mainly because I have never thought about it, I have used Minutemans to cut internal keyways, which I suppose is the same process but made easy. as I have been sitting here typing I have thought of a job that I can/might be able to do, :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts