Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I can't believe I'm the only one. Love my car, love to drive it, absolutely hate the attention it gets. I know for most people this is what it's about, but my favourite time is on a quiet road when nobody's around. Posing is a big turn off, anyone else just like their car for what it is, rather than the wow factor?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I like all aspects of it, the only time I dont like the attention is stuck in traffic in the town centre, too easy target for dickheads.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Same as you Poncho, I love the car and the scene, hate posing and prefer the open rd to being stuck in traffic. I have a 'vert '71 Vette and never have the top down!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love to drive them much more then show them off. I have had a classic since I was 15, so for 30 years I have had them and have entered my car in one show a long time ago. I like car shows but not sitting in a lawn chair talking about my car.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just like driving around for my own pleasure, getting gawked at while stuck in the high street can be vaguely embarrassing. I don't mind so much if you are parked up and a real car nut or someone who is really interested stops to chat, I've met some interesting people that way. I don't tend to go to shows, but I love the small local meets where pretty much everyone is there with a car and you can while away an hour or so bullshitting with likeminded folk.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I think people think we're a bunch of macho show-offs from a bygone age! Ridiculously oversized powerplants rammed into 20 foot long motors at times! But in truth, I think we just love the cars and meeting like-minded people at shows and meets where the talk isn't just about cars. You do get the odd dickhead comment, but they're just jealous that they're just anonymous nobodies.
I've had times when I've had to fight through a crowd to get to my car, I guess that's what it must feel like to be a celeb, but I can take or leave that. I own Yanks because I consider them the best looking cars ever made, some are truly works of art. And it's all about the care and time that goes into them, not the money....:tup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ref; Dickhead questions/comments, I loved the FAQ board I saw up in front of a car at a show last year

Q. How many miles to the gallon does it do?

A. That's not the point

Q. How does it go round corners?

A. Neither is that

I'm looking to get my first yank motor later in the summer and at 6' 5" I'll take whatever comments anyone wants to pass but my missus is dying of embarrassment already and I ain't even got it!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
I'm looking to get my first yank motor later in the summer and at 6' 5" I'll take whatever comments anyone wants to pass but my missus is dying of embarrassment already and I ain't even got it!
Serious point, at 6' 5" make sure you have a good look at interior space! My previous car (1960 Impala) sure was huge, BUT with the floorpan being flat, level with the top of the sills (due to it having a seperate chassis) and it being a "flat-top" (sport sedan) interior space was really restricted, most of the excessive width seemed to be taken up by the thickness of the doors. My current 57 Ranchero has more head room but even that isn't as big inside as you'd think from the outside.

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
I quite like it when the car gets a bit of attention, although I suppose it could get annoying if she got loads of attention or attracted idiots. Some of the enjoyment I get out of being in the Midget is the enjoyment she gives to other people. It's always nice to hear appreciative comments, whether they're from an excited toddler, an old boy with fond memories or anyone in between.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love being out in the car and the attention it gets. It makes people smile and wave, so I do the same back.

I have never had an adverse comment and I feel privileged to own my dream car.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
My car has definitely helped get me laid in my youth.
You had a nice car and you got the girl.
I met my wife when I took it off the road which says a lot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts