Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have my floor frame welded in the next few days, but I was wondering if it is OK to have it welded to the chassis. Browsing the HAMB, I have only really seen them welded to the body. Is it fine to weld to the chassis? Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am going to have my floor frame welded in the next few days, but I was wondering if it is OK to have it welded to the chassis. Browsing the HAMB, I have only really seen them welded to the body. Is it fine to weld to the chassis? Pictures:
I did it with my Morris, sort of. Couldn't see any reason why not to. I used 1" x 2" box, sort of cross members come floor frame.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
cant see a problem, just watch out for heat as you are only putting heat into one side of the box and it can warp if too much.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
cant see a problem, just watch out for heat as you are only putting heat into one side of the box and it can warp if too much.....
Mine did that where those side supports are, not much, but you can see it clearly when you eyeball down the length of the frame rail. I should have welded them on a bit at a time, allowing cooling in between.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No big reasdon not to, other than one of the good things about having a car with a separate chassis, is that the chassis is separate.. ie the body can come off. If you weld the floor to the chassis, it compromises that ability.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No big reasdon not to, other than one of the good things about having a car with a separate chassis, is that the chassis is separate.. ie the body can come off. If you weld the floor to the chassis, it compromises that ability.
Yeah, but the body will be seperate from the chassis; it would unbolt from the floor frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts