1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
take a look at a 2015 rwd transit gearbox
it differs in the bolt pattern to a upto 2014
2014 - duratec?

2015 and up, complete circle - same as new style ecoboosters?
i.e. 1.5 l fordy style focus engine?

same as a 2.3 mustang?

same as a v6 2014 up mustang v6?

the gearboxes are getrag units

can you take the rear end - tail from the 6 speed stick, non cable transit (last of the MK6?
and fit it to the 2014 and up units - 6 speeds?

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
oh no, what you planning now mate?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 1.5 eco boost on a 2016 transit gearbox

I am hoping the getrag from a 6 speed transit from when they first became 6 speeds
is the same as all of them upto the curren ones internally
as that would mean the gearstick on a mk6 6 speed
will bolt to a 2017 6 speed - and the bell housing pattern changes from duratec/tork to eco boost

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
those rwd transit 6 speeds are bloody heavy, probably not much lighter than the ecoboost engine itself. it takes 2 to lift those boxes in and out from underneath on a ramp, i know. there's probably an adapter to bolt an mx5 6 speed to the ecoboost if you look about. much smaller box but still strong.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
transit 2006 6 speed.jpg

yes

they are

anyplops, the 'last' of the mk6 transits? gord 6 speed, BUT they keep the stick
mk7 sees cable dremote and the stick on the dash

so thanks for the advise and telling me to go and get this today

so the 2.4 diesel getrag transit gearbox shares the bell house pattern with a
duratec petrol

as seen here
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172481&start=0

great lets do that then

OR

go and get a 2018 adblu transit box with the different bell housing pattern, and hope thast the asme as the eco boost at the bell house pattern, and simply fit the above stick

eco boost 1.5's are a little too spendy for me. so I think we will scratch that for now

so, the box is quite tall compared to a t5 say, BUT its going in a 35 ford with an unsplit wishbone, the stick position is about 2 or 3 inches further rearward than a zetec with a t5 with an s10 tail - with that in a 37 the stick erally is too far forwards

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
fuck me mate, you like to make things hard for yourself :shake:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes,
there isn't much in the way of 2009 mk4 Mondeo ecu pin-out info anywhere
but I'll stick with that in 2 litre form all stock.
stock ecu, pats etc

now lets buy an engine...

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
on one of the other threads i mentioned the ford ranger pickup (mazda with ford badges) that use the 2.3 version of this engine and already rwd.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,022 Posts
SIMPLY make a new gear lever that falls easily to hand ?? Have you never seen a magic wand Mini ??

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
you didn't want a cable shift gearbox, but it would mean you can put the stick where you want it.
also did you say it's for a 35 ford? surely with only a 4 pot the engine/box can be sited so as to put the gearstick more where you want it anyway? it's not like it's a model A or B where the engine bay is really short so the box is pushed further back.
just another thought and something for you to look into..... how about a mazda panel van gearbox? almost certainly cable shift so the stick can go anywhere and it'll bolt straight to the mondeo/mazda engine. don't dismiss cable shift, almost all modern cars have them and they don't go wrong and feel just as precise as 'solid' stick boxes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
you didn't want a cable shift gearbox, but it would mean you can put the stick where you want it.
also did you say it's for a 35 ford? surely with only a 4 pot the engine/box can be sited so as to put the gearstick more where you want it anyway? it's not like it's a model A or B where the engine bay is really short so the box is pushed further back.
just another thought and something for you to look into..... how about a mazda panel van gearbox? almost certainly cable shift so the stick can go anywhere and it'll bolt straight to the mondeo/mazda engine. don't dismiss cable shift, almost all modern cars have them and they don't go wrong and feel just as precise as 'solid' stick boxes.
this box is 22.5'' long
from the stick to the bell is 22''

it will work!!

anyways, we are swerving the coboost as its too expensive for me
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-a0AAOSwUDVfGZ-c/s-l640.jpg
was simply wondering if the transit 2017 and up andblu rwd 6 speed getrag, was the same as a mustang 2.3 ecoboost at the pointy end, might well be, but, I shall stick with the 2010 duratec offerings

so the challenge now is 'using the knowledge gained on using a stock zetec intake and ecu' transmogrify that info onto the duratec .
but get the intake and exhaust swapped around, use the head top coil packs and plastic valve cover.

so its all about the cooling lines to rad
are they fly by wire throttle or cable still in 2010
just how deep is the sump at the front - will the drag links clear on a cross steering stock set up
are there bits and bobs - case vent , oil cooler, etc etc in the way of rwd style motor mounts

that type of stuff

need to go and buy an engine today, but its raining
still don't know if they actually fit

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
you ain't wired up right :lol:
the wireing will be a complete nightmare, don't know if I can run the coil pack in head style and fly by wire throttle yet
anyway

SITUATION REPORT

as you do....

first thing to buy is the go faster exhaust manifold fiestA st150 tubular and a bit shorter then the Mondeo

next thing to note is at the rear of the head you need A mk3 mx5 or a ranger coolant elbow mount - they do a billet one at £92- the ranger goes drivers rhd side, you can buy them on rock auto - I went with a stock mk3 mx5 version that goes the other way, great that's on its way

next looking at the rear of the head, the thing to the left of the above housing is the egr valve - a Mondeo sticks out, the mx5 is closer to the head and the plug angle is different - so got one of them - now the whole lot can sit a good few inches rearwards

engine mounts for rwd, the ranger 2001-2009 and mazda b2300 exist, but are a bit thin on the ground in the uk, so I just bought some mk3 mx5 ones, they don't look too dissimilar from the ranger.

also IF you decide on a mk3 mx5 intake plenum to get the throttle body further forwards, you need to also have the mx5 crank case breather, to fit the plenum you need the plenum to head come mount/spacer - which houses the flaps, and the actuator - so got them

so I think that is on the physicals - bar the clutch, as I tink the bearing internal hydraulic throw wont be enough

I shall stick with a ford engine and loom ecu etc, I think all the plugs and stuff are different on the mazdas, plus the ford engines are ten a penny

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Nobler

Do you ever finish a project.

You saam to complicate even the most simplest of jobs.

Would it not be eaasier just to do a swap thats been done a thousand times befor and all the guesswork has already been done.

Youre going to run out of life,befor you get to enjoy something on the road.

Building cars can be really simple and quick

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
Nobler

Do you ever finish a project.

You saam to complicate even the most simplest of jobs.

Would it not be eaasier just to do a swap thats been done a thousand times befor and all the guesswork has already been done.

Youre going to run out of life,befor you get to enjoy something on the road.

Building cars can be really simple and quick
totally agree, far too complicated...... even for you mate. why not just get the engine and box from a mk3 mx5......... oooh, there's an idea!

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
that's like the remote tvr used on some t5 boxes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts