Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added the end peice to the back of the drivers side rear arch today. The thing is, it should really be the same on both sides, even though it won't really be visable, but it isn't. It is pretty damn the same distance from the floor, but the actual beight of the peices on both sides is 5/8" differant: 2 3/8" on the passenger side and 1 3/4" on the drivers side. So do I continue with it how it is, bearing in mind it will be hidden when it is finished or not? Here's some shots if I've confused you:

Drivers side:

The shorter end peice:

Passenger side:

The end peice on that side:

·
Registered
437 Posts
you gotta be happy with it yourself and do it to the best of your abilities !!!! how long will it take to put it right ?

are you happy with it ?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
firt thing to think about is weather the original sheet metal was correct to start with, its not unusual on older vehicles for the body to be out due to poor manufacturing techniques.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
first thing to think about is weather the original sheet metal was correct to start with, its not unusual on older vehicles for the body to be out due to poor manufacturing techniques.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Stuff like that has happened to me before and although it wont be seen it stil annoys you dont it. It did with me. When i was putting rear arches on my sit up and beg the arch measured the same but could i hell get the fibre glass arches to fit the same distance around as one always fell short by just under an inch to the other.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
the problem some times with working in a small space is you can't actually walk far enough back to eye up the piece you are working on , this gives you two effective ways of measuring , tape measure and eye balling . .
If you can put a straight edge across the car on the bottom of the arches and stand back it might give you more of a clue as to what is out , like others have said was they good when they were new .

·
Registered
725 Posts
You asked the question because you know something is wrong & know that you should fix it but you dont realy want to, do you !!
That is unless some one on here tells you to .... !

so Im not saying a word:incheek:
let us know how you get on :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
It's up to you. If you're not happy with it then it'll always bug you so change. If it's not gonna bug you then don't.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
if at first

its buggin you,at least your trying,if its bugging you cut the cunt off n start again.if you leave it lie to your mates n tell them you had ray charles in to help you,CUT THE KUNTING THING OFF.you wont be happy

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help. I did cut it off today and had a bit more of a measure up to see what's what. I found that from the front of the arch on one side to the new peice at the back was the same on both sides, almost spot on. But, it was as you can see considerably differant in height. Weird huh? So, I chopped it out and firmly clamped a length of wood on the existing opposite side peice. I measured from a join on the very back of the boot panel for each side and I found it was out, so I marked a line on the drivers side and cut it back. So now the ends are the same height on both sides, same height off the floor, but now about 3/8" futher forward on the drivers side than on the other. I think I will have to make that sacrifice, finish it off and move on. It is alot better now (although not perfect ;)), so I think I'm happy. Since it has moved foward I need to extend the panel behind to make ends meet, and it is only tacked in the photo because the welder was birdsnesting again:sniff: (I changed the wire liner yesterday FFS!!!)

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
...or too much tension at the pulley and the end melting to the tip due to wire speed ?
Yeah, it is probably closer to being that than rusty wire in my case, but both would cause it. Mind you, the tension really isn't that high, but I suppose ideally it should be a purposefully weak link in the wire feed system so if it does stick somewhere it just slips on the pulley, instead of birdsnesting and wasting a couple of metres of wire.

Anyway, I hope the fabrication on the body is OK, because you do wonder when you see some of the excellent work and fabbing skills in the Garage section.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, I think I have fixed it now. I hope this looks a little better, and I apoligise for the usual cruddy photos.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,145 Posts
The quality comes with experience /practice ..which come with age/ time .Trust me ,most would have been more than happy to be producing what you are doing at your age.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You feel better now dont you ? sometimes it takes longer than you want but in the end all these bits will end with you having a better car at the end of the build oh & you should have seen the welding gear we had to build cars with in the 70s !!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,145 Posts
Welding equipment ? It was all pop rivets and filler ...and that was the chassis' :incheek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts