Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
If it is good or not isn't important, the very fact you have looked at it to see if there is any merit in it, is what makes it art.
It's one of lifes riddles;
Artist calls it art, someone agrees, then it is art.
Artist calls it art, someone disagrees, then it is art.
Artist calls it art, no one comments, then it's not art.

Chaley

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its art to some especially who ever paid such a stuppid sum , and it will never be the same as it is there when its moved it can not be put back millimeter perfect , add to that more money than sence as my old mom used to say

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Art, in my opinion, is an expression of skill.
I cannot draw or paint people/animals, so I appreciate those who can.
I cannot sculpt, and again although I may not like sculpture (particularly modern sculpture) I can appreciate the skills involved.
I can leave an unmade bed. I could cut a cow in half. I could stack a pile of bricks. I don't consider doing any one of these makes me an artist whether or not anyone looks at it or comments on it.

Oh, hang on. My wife commented on me leaving the bed unmade, therefore by Chaley's reckoning I must be an artist!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I like both the above definitions.....it makes all of us on here some kind of artist...:incheek:....I think my truck is a work of art and I've had lots of comments about it, so its up for sale $2,000,000....please form an orderly queue

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
All joking aside I think that a lot of hot rods/customised cars are works of art, abd took a lot more time, effort and skill than leaving a f**king bed unmade.
Who were the wankers who were bidding in the auction anyway? They should be made to donate the same amount of money to Great Ormond Street (or similar).

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
I think legendlives has it spot-on. For art to be art, it must display some level of talent. Anyone can soil a bed and throw some condoms at it, so that's not art. Quite why you'd want to spend £2½ million pounds on something when you could create an exact replica in two minutes is beyond me, but I suppose it comes down to fools and their money.

Fair play to Tracey Emin, though; she's made a fortune out of doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Well, when Saatchi bought it for £120,000 we all thought HE was stark raving BONKERS. . . Now he's sold it for Two and half Million, so I can only say it was worth every single penny of the £120K he originally paid . . . .

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
I was at the Hayward Gallery in London, back in 1970, on a day trip from my Art College. We saw all the crap displayed as "art", such as the pile of bricks, etc, plus there was a telephone lying on the floor with a sign that said "Hotline to Superman". I could see some spotty oik, up on a balcony answering it, so we told him jump off, to prove he was invincible!

Then we put a broken flask and a half eaten apple from my lunch, on a window sill. People actually came up and studied it, assuming it was part of the wonderful exhibition :wanker:

·
Registered
274 Posts
"!Emperors new clothes" yet again.
Read naked emperors by Brian Sewell it's the reviews he wrote about the Saatchi's and all the other "arty" cronies when he was art critic for one of the London papers, he really rips them to pieces.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Of course it is art
Like music,you don't have to like all of it.
You can't expect to walk into an art exhibition and understand it in the same way you can't walk into an opera and immediately get it.If all art was blue skys and rolling fields with a fox hunt going on wouldn't life be boring. In the same way we push boundaries with our cars she is (was) pushing boundaries with art.
I don't like it at all but it is definitely art.
Here's why,take a listen you might enjoy it BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Reith Lectures

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
A dog's just taken a dump in my front garden. I can frame it if anyone wants to buy it..............:tup:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well you get little interest in the bank these days so some people will invest in art some in old american cars,its all pretty much a gamble,if someone pays 5 mill in a couple years or so will be a great investment it could happen.i dont get art so i dont bother looking.....and if pop shops dogs dump is white then thats rare as well,when was the last time you saw white dog shit?

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Of course it is art
Like music,you don't have to like all of it.
You can't expect to walk into an art exhibition and understand it in the same way you can't walk into an opera and immediately get it.If all art was blue skys and rolling fields with a fox hunt going on wouldn't life be boring. In the same way we push boundaries with our cars she is (was) pushing boundaries with art.
I don't like it at all but it is definitely art.
Here's why,take a listen you might enjoy it BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Reith Lectures
It's true I don't like all music but at least the creators have a talent and I can appreciate the skill involved.

I understand what you are saying but it is still shit, I always thought that art was created by people who had talent and flair, just leaving a bed unmade requires neither and is replicated in thousands of houses every day and it isn't art.

It does give teenagers a good excuse for not making their bed though, after all it's now classed as priceless art :incheek:

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Got a mate who does "art", what to my mind is shite or should have been done by a 10 year old. If you give him a traditional style painting to look at , you get no reaction, if you were to chuck 10 tins of paint on the floor and run about in it, he would go on about the anger the artist was feeling when he done it and go on about the textures, the shade the light. I think, hes off his head. BUT he did four bloody great pictures that look like a six year old did, matchstick people , cars and lorry's that look like cornflake box's on wheels, you get the picture ? Sold them for around £800 EACH to the local NHS trust and they now hang in the corridors of our local Hospital. So maybe hes a cleaver bloke, and i know jack shit about art !! Like beauty i guess , its in the eye of the beholder, but as has been said i do think there is a degree of "The emperors new cloth's about it all, and that us mere mortals just don't understand it !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts