Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work van was in for service recently,
our mechanic loaned me his van for a few days,
phones me up a few days back and says " i've got a fixed penalty come through for you for going through a no-entry"
did a google search and found the road i got in is caught is a hotspot,
no-entry signs half way down the street, but buses only allowed through,
i probably followed the bus i guess?

been doing the same job since 97 always driving at least 30,000 plus miles a year, 1st time caught, been pretty lucky since a lot of it's in London,
have to take it on the chin and pay the fine, hope theres no points,
the sample fixed penalty for the no-entry on the web in that street only showed the fine,
fingers crossed heh:sniff:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
Back when I was repping for a living it was a question of when not if :( . The longer you spend out there the more likely something is to happen, speeding tickets, traffic light cameras , crashes etc etc. Did around 350,000 in 10 years, I speeding ticket , 3 crashes ( only one down to me ).

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you say Kev it's a constant minefield for high mileage drivers,

only today, came back to the the van with about 3-4 minutes left on the meter to find a warden leaning against the wall next to it hovering to whack a ticket on it,

got a ticket a while back after the pay n display ticket blew upside down on the dash after i slammed the side door shut.

some of our less careful drivers seem to have a regular 3-6 points on there licence's,
just as points expire they seem to get caught again.

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,455 Posts
I'm the same with high mileage driving, and the guys I work with. It's an occupational hazard.

Not as bad as one of the young guys today though, who couldnt find the road he was looking for. When asked where he was, he was in the wrong town 50 miles away. Why? the name of the town on the sat nav looked similar to the one he needed! :wanker: we were speechless.

·
Registered
12,532 Posts
I have been repping for over 30 years and yes it seems as though as soon as one endorsement runs out and your license becomes 'clean' then sods law applies and you get Gatzo'd again. My first 'pull' for doing over the 'ton' was on the A12 at Brentwood in 1982 driving a Sierra 1.6 automatic - I was clocked at between 103 and 106 mph! (indicated 110 mph on the speedo) Oddly enough the car had minor knock to the front end and the offside headlamp glass had shattered and was missing - it would previously indicate 115 mph flat-out. I got banned for 5 days with a fine and costs of £120. That was serious money back then! I was pissed about this andthought that it wasn't proportional to the speed as other guys who had been clocked at 120 mph on the M25 were only fined £130!

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
16 years ago when I got my first sales job which involved driving all over UK and Europe I was well pleased with myself, but after 2 years of covering 110,000 miles I figured I had pushed my luck enough without having an accident or conviction and spending so much time away from home it was time to get another job.

I only used maps and I never did fail to make an meeting.

·
Registered
822 Posts
lucky

i drive an artic for a livin, got 6 points on my licence both for cameras, 4 mph over,just had another through,motorway shuts divert past the belfry lichfeild road, 50 limit, censor pads 40 for a truck gets me at 46.sends me a fixed penalty, trouble is the company i am with will not employ anyone with 9 points.so i rings the ticket office explains and now they are goin to send me on a speed awarness course no points 60 quid fine, which i thought was very good of them ... john

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.