Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I`m Dale, I live in Miskin, near Cardiff, South Wales. I`m just about to turn the big 5-0 and just love Interesting cars. Had about 150 cars now and there`s still no hope of me becoming normal! I sell new cars for a living and drive one all week, but on weekends I get to drive the interesting old stuff! I have been lucky in the past to have owned things like: `69 Mustang, `78 Trans Am, `55 F100 Pickup, `91 Z28 Camaro, CJ7 Jeeps, All the Jags, 18 x Capri`s etc. and have been building my first Rod. I bought it about 6 months ago as a Ford Pop rear body fitted onto a Scimitar chassis, running gear etc, so it was part built and have now just about finished it - just needs wiring kit fitting in a week or so. Have driven it and it is quite quick as its pretty light with no front wings, bonnet, interior or windows - that`s how its gonna stay too! Yes, its a Rat Rod, although I call it Rat Race as it`s a Rat Rod outside, with a Race Interior! Been lurking on here for 6 months and picked up loads of tips from you guys - I hope I can help someone else out someday with the (limited compared to some of you guys!) knowledge I have gained. See ya round!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those pesky pigeons! Strange how the more welding I done, the less mess they made! I was ashamed of my first attempts at welding - I have re-done them now! Glad you like the look - I am going for basic and light as possible - no windows at all, open roof, no front wings, bonnet etc - Should be interesting when I get it MOT`d in a months time? Does anyone out there know if you need front wings for MOT? All the best mate!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Those pesky pigeons! Strange how the more welding I done, the less mess they made! I was ashamed of my first attempts at welding - I have re-done them now! Glad you like the look - I am going for basic and light as possible - no windows at all, open roof, no front wings, bonnet etc - Should be interesting when I get it MOT`d in a months time? Does anyone out there know if you need front wings for MOT? All the best mate!
Hi & welcome from another newbie. Re your wings/MOT question, I had the same issue a few years back with a Dune Buggy I had. Under the construction & use regs you need wings that properly cover the tyres BUT this isn't an MOT'able item, so strictly speaking they should pass it, even if you do get pulled over on the way home...... In reality it seems to come down to individual testers and the way they feel they have to interpret the regulations. Not much point trying to argue with them, just find a sympathetic garage. I found my local 4x4 place was good as they are used to all sorts of weird creations with big tyres and roll cages rather than a never-ending stream of Fiestas and Micras. Good luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your reply mate. It`s a grey area and I think that you are right in that it depends where you go! I had a Monster Jeep once that had massive tyres that stuck out from the arches about 10 inches at least each side and the MOT tester rang the ministry to ask should he pass my Jeep and he told me that the Jeep isn`t unsafe to drive so he has to pass it. They did say to him that the police may stop me - especially if it was raining and spray was splashing up. I think lots of Quad bikes have no arches either, and they have four wheels too! Here`s fingers crossed for May when it goes in for the dreaded MOT! All the best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.