Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rod'a'holic
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of things I would like clarifying on please. Kev?

Would a Vintique 32 grille insert pass if not suggstions on what would.

Exterior hinges I understand can stick out 50 mm but does this apply to fenderless styles and what hinges would pass bearing mind radius issues.

Same with door handles, which ones can I get away with?

I want to leave on the front frame horns how big and of what material would a front bumper have to be to meet the criteria for excluding suspension etc from sharp edge rules

Thanks

Rich

P.S.

Have they finalised the rules yet?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,542 Posts
I wish I did !

Re the insert I'd have to look at the grille itself, the spacing of bars should be fine it will be radius on edges that may cause problems. It could be installed with a rolled rubber trim that can be removed afterwards ?

Hinges are max 50mm where they are not the widest part of the bodywork ( 40mm otherwise) ie 'fenderless ( though fenders are now mandatory and part of the test ) .Projection is FROM bodywork and they would need to meet radii criteria .

Door handles if open and forward facing must return to within 3 mm of body .You can make the bodywork reach them or fit a rubber 'nipple' to meet criteria. Or ,like many do , simply reverse them for the test.

Bumper, no laid down material but anything behind and below is exempt from radii. I'd make them as a tubular nerf bar style ,ful width.

Finalised ? Nope, being rewritten again at the mo. I've got to catch up on the current situation soon.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,542 Posts
I think the tiny lump hanging out the other side may be the main issue ( presuming you are turning front to rear for the test ).The idea behind the spec is that no one could get their clothes caught and dragged by the car. However if you were using it the correct way round it would be about making the handle meet the bodywork or fitting a shield to close the gap.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I may have to be creative just for the test, but I was trying to avoid that. I will keep looking, I have some 100E handles which I could easily adjust to meet the 3mm gap rule but they are too angular and would fail radius test.

Rich

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Those look like the handles Simon used on his willys, he had to take a grinder to them to lose the bit Kev has mentioned:mad: and that was sinking them in to the body work because they stuck out too far:mad::mad:
Chaley

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,542 Posts
I've looked at loads of kits to see what they do but the bulk simply don't have handles. In my head I can see the ideal handle but don't know what it's from, simple long curved handle with flutes along it.
Many simply fit what is needed to pass the test and then change back afterwards . Must admit I'm of the school on not changing afterwards and that's what I'm doing with my modified ( when I get to it )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.