Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning chaps, I'm starting to put together some ideas for a build having been approached by a guy wanting a Land Rover that's 'Something Different'.
He likes the look of this Beetle based machine Clicky Link but has intimated V8 power would be preferable.
I know people have put Rover V8's onto Beetles before, but this would leave the engine in the wrong place to fit under the bodywork, whilst I fancy the idea of doing it differently because the Beetle based option has been done more than once.

Current thoughts are that starting from scratch -I think pretty much whatever I do it'll need to go through IVA so why make things harder modifying something that isn't right to start?- building a backbone chassis based around XJ40 mechanicals (front and rear suspension etc) and keep the Land Rover bodywork as easily removable outer skins as opposed to trying to use the complete assemblies.

Rather than trying to completely reinvent the wheel does anyone have any constructive suggestions, or indeed technical literature (dimensioned drawings of the suspension setup etc) that might help me along a bit here?

Skills wise I've rebuilt more than a few Land Rovers, a couple of custom builds (plenty of extra fab work) along with engine and gearbox conversions (Rover V8 and LT77 into a Stag amongst others) so I don't doubt my ability to pull it off, but the one thing I have learned in my time is there's no such thing as a stupid question, and you can learn a lot discussing ideas with those more experienced than yourself.

So, anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
If you have a dig about in the landrover mags you will find a jag based landy. The guy wanted something different for his wife and 4x4 was not necessary so he fitted all the xj running gear into a series landrover inc engine and box.

Bob

·
Premium Member
14,766 Posts
what about using a scimitar chassis with a v8 added. already registered and capable of handling a mild v8. just mount the l/rover panels and you're sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts