Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collecting a series 3 jag front clip, I am wondering what springs and shocks people have used, car is a morris minor with 1 UZFE V8. So started life about 800kgs. Does a coilover fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Iv used a pair of GAZ coil overs you will just need to make upper mounting points and play with spring ratings to suit you. You can mod most suspension set ups to use a coil over

·
Registered
622 Posts
I converted my jag clip using coilovers. There's not much room but it can be done. Have a look at my build in the "garage". 56 F100 pro street

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, planning to do it myself, as for the rack, it was suggested i speak to you, lol. Can you narrow the jag one by about 175mm?, thats just a calculated guess. Not sure until i get it under the car if the rack is going to work, collecting the clip tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
I cant narrow power racks.ive tried and failed.

What i usually do is narrow a manual rack and fit that.as long as you set the crossmember up at the right angle,you will get away with non power.

For coilovers,i put gaz ones on everything.available is any lenght and get them from rally design.not all lenghts are available off the shelf,and can take three weeks to be made.about the cheapest ones on the market compared to say protec or avo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for shock info. What are your thoughts on the saxo or 106 racks? I dont think i will need to go that narrow but the fact that it is connected to both of the wheels from basically the same end of the rack looks intetesting.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Thanks for shock info. What are your thoughts on the saxo or 106 racks? I dont think i will need to go that narrow but the fact that it is connected to both of the wheels from basically the same end of the rack looks intetesting.
That looks like it would work.as the arms are so long,you shouldnt get any bump steer issues.if you use one grab the end of the column as well,as you may need to fit that into youres.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly my thoughts too regarding bump steer. I am thinking I will use the Lexus power steering pump and see how it goes. As I have no idea really its a suck it and see. comments welcome. But I am not trying to build the best handling car in the world so if the PAS is a bit low on feel I am not too bothered. I know I may not "need" PAS but I fancy having it and we are spoilt nowadays by most things being PAS. I don't want to struggle parking.

Another question. (I have not built a car for many years) The engine will be quite a long way back into the bulkhead, as you may imagine, I have no idea in my head as to the steering column setup. Basically the back of the engine will be not too far from the A posts so the column will have to come out about level with door hinges ish. I cant "see" in my head a nice way forward, true I am not at that stage so its academic at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your comments

That looks like it would work.as the arms are so long,you shouldnt get any bump steer issues.if you use one grab the end of the column as well,as you may need to fit that into youres.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
why not use the pump of the saxo.its the right one for that rack.

what cant you visualise about youre steering.

easiest way is to wait till youre engine is in to see what space is available.put seat in,hold wheel in a place youre happy with and join a to b.

you will prob need to work steering out with headers so they don't crash.

its all doable

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, what i mean is i cant see how to mount the column nicely as i think it will be sticking out in the middle of the cabin, sort of. Its only idle thinking i know it will be easier when i get there.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Yes, what i mean is i cant see how to mount the column nicely as i think it will be sticking out in the middle of the cabin, sort of. Its only idle thinking i know it will be easier when i get there.
Thanks.
what sort of style car are you building.if racy style just mount of two bars in the cabin from either dash or cage.wont look out of place.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I was going to build a gasser style, but changed my mind, so not really sure. Ride height will be slightly lower than standard, ish. I don't like the front suspension crossmember on show too much so that is sort of going to dictate ride height. together with chassis to crossmember consideration etc. Rear, probably Jag IRS on 10x15, narrowed so tyres under body. Do you shorten the drive shafts etc?

So I guess it could be racer style, def not for showing I want to drive it. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question.

Collected the clip today, came with some very nice 4 piston callipers, are they standard? Series 3 4.2

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Just had a look at your web site, makes me feel very inadequate.....
Its not a competition and im a business so have to produce work to a certain standard.

Yes do jag rears,and columns if you need one made.

Youre project sounds really good.be nice to see it in the garage section once you get started

1 - 20 of 24 Posts