Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a couple of diffs, and had several others. one of the ones i have now is different to the others..

The calipers bolt to the case unlike all the others i have come across that bolt to the bearing carrier.

what model would this be off..... something tells me its an E-type one?

any clues please on how to work out what it was off?....

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Trev,

I have got both sorts aswell, the two i have got where the calipers bolt on to the diff housing were from V12 XJS think one was 1990 the other was 1994 both are 2.88 powerlocks but the later one uses the Dana gearset as opposed to the Salisbury set up. The other three i have got are as you say where the calipers bolt on to the bearing housing, these are all older diffs though 4.09 open, 3.54 open and a 3.07 powerlock all Salisbury.

Apparently the reason for the change was to try and get the heat away from the bearing seals as this tended to cause them to leak over time. The even later IRS's had the discs/calipers moved to behind the wheel like a conventional set up, supposedly stopped the leaks but didn't drive or handle aswell due to the change in the unsprung weight.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Trev,

I am correct (ish), Just had a word with Tim at XJ Services who i used to deal with years ago. All the diffs where the calipers bolt to the housing are Dana and the ones that bolt to the bearing carrier are Salisbury. Apparently the Dana has been around for a number of years but was used mainly on export models with Salisbury being used for the the home market, although the Dana became more popular over here in the later years. As with all things British Leyland when there were disputes strikes etc at the plant or with their suppliers if they ran out of one they would use the other if there were any laying about.

The calipers will bolt to both types of diff but the discs are different, Tim said from memory you can use the Dana discs on both axles but the Salisbury discs you can't, the difference being the Dana disc has a 1" hole in it that allows you to pass a socket through to bolt the calipers to the axle housing on the Dana application.

Cheers.

Russ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts