Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Austin has chromed adjustable Spax fitted all round but they were seized and rusty when I got the car, now, having put a few miles on it they've recently dumped most of their damping oil on the garage floor - what's the most cost effective fix?
Rebuild?
Cheap replacements?
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
maybe call spax for a rebuild cost. if not gaz replacements and do you need all 4 or would 2 with stiffer springs suffice? that would save a lot.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm awaiting a reply from Spax... was rather hoping someone would say, "The ones from a Kia Poo Poo fit and they're only a tenner a pair!".

I've wondered about dropping down to just two but surprisingly the Austin isn't massively lighter than the donor Jag'...

·
Registered
301 Posts
The problem is the the jag ones have 5/8" mounting holes (if I remember correctly) and most standard shocks are smaller so the choice is limited (read expensive). Tvr's use the same size and gaz make chrome shocks to fit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try looking up protec shocks I'm using them on my Anglia and we have a set of gaz on another jag rear but this car's not finished yet . So not Shore how good they are yet. I'm not sure what chrome one's are on the market but there's plenty
Alloy shocks about. As for shock mounting hole sizes pro tec's do a proper fitment. Give wisbeach a call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts