Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm in the process of getting my XJC on the road after many years of neglect from its previous owner after much hard work im beginning to become satisfied with the appearance of the car (still lots more work to do before I will truely happy) however one aspect of the car I am not happy with its engine, while before it was garaged for last winter it ran I was coming over numerous engine/carburettor faults which at times made the car extremely unreliable and frankly not enjoyable at all.

So I'm thinking about the possibility of a engine swap with a SBC or 302 ford (carb for easier installation), I note that you can buy the conversion kits from America and pick up the engines for various amounts quite easily.

Are there any workshops anyone would recommend for this type of work and what do you think would be a reasonable budget to get it back on the road ?

Any opinions welcome

Thanks for your time
Aaron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
i've done a basic holley conversion on a 4.2 before. i just made a 'plenum' box that bolted to the jag inlet where the 2 su's were and bolted a 390 holley on top. it ran really well and got better mpg too.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
personally i would stick with the 4.2 then. I think they are a good engine, or maybe fit a later 6 cylinder jag engine on injection. or as said, do a carb conversion.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Trouble is, I'm slightly biased. I love those xj coupes, and I would like to keep it as original as poss, (if it was my car, which its not) bearing in mind the prices of these will rise substantially in the future.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
You can get a swap manual from JTR (Jaguars That Run) in the states, but better getting it from Amazon,the Book has the correct sizes for the engine mount and what rubber mounts are used they also do a Manual of EFI conversions to the V8
You could consider a V8 GM diesel or the Range Rover V8 diesel as an alternative

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think you going to be going a much heavier lump with a diesel, plus it will need to be injected I'd prefer to stay carburettor for ease of install, as for values they could increase substantially street fighter but I'm not really too excited of what money I could make in several years time. I have never been a huge fan of engine swaps but when I look at the numbers its seems a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
A car I always wamted to own and in the best colour. How about a new Jag V8, probably not the easiest swap but using an engine with the correct 'parentage' would be so cool.

Whatever you decide I'll still be just a little envious :D

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
The GM is heavy but the RR one is about the same weight as a SB Ford plus think it can be modded to 400 HP but I tend to dismiss some (OK a lot of the off-road claims)However it was only an alternative

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.