Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness that I have to report that Jim Hall has died.
Jim was instrumental in starting the NSVA in this country,and was the clubs first chairman,and all round nice guy.
He was also involved with inshore power boats and anything with an Alfa engine. He will be missed by everyone who ever met him.Jim Hall R.I.P.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Jim Hall R.I.P

[Threads merged by Si]

Jim Hall passed away last weekend, Jim was considered to be the man who got the N.S.V.A. going. He took over from Dave Bligh who got the charter from the N.S.V.A. in America in 1974 and was the presedent untill a change in his life style took him of into tinkering with old cars instead. I first met Jim at the Pod in 74 when I had my VW split, he was often found there or at Blackbush, his van sometimes used in the rollers to start the bikes. Hit Thames was seen every where in the late seventies,at first Zodiac powered and for a while running on propane, and then with a Damler V8, I'm sure Mopar has some photos of the van if not the man himself. And I know he's in some of Timetravel's vidio's. I am sure some of you old boy's knew him. Dave.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Ditto........... I should have read this first........... Dave.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Dave, I was very shocked to find out that Jim had passed away. As a vanner from 1974 on, I knew Jim well, indeed it was Jim that gave me the membership form to join the NSVA at the time. He was most certainly one of the guys that drove the movement forward at that time.

A good man, and a great loss.

Bungle

·
Registered
187 Posts
Heard this by email during the week, sad news. I didn't know Jim well as I was just an apprentice Thames Valley Vanner at the time but I know he was extremely well thought of in the van scene.
I circulated the news to a couple of mates who knew him and just got this cool recollection from Chris Akehurst, a TVV member who ran an MGB powered Moggy Pickup back then. Over to Chris.

" My best recollection of Jim was a Saturday evening after the first day of the World Hot Rod Championships at Foxhall Stadium, Ipswich in '77 or '78. We all cruised off to a haulage yard a few miles away where we were camping overnight. The roads around the area were fairly quiet including a dual carriageway with roundabouts just over a quarter of a mile apart on one side of the haulage yard. It wasn't long before there were vans lining up to race one another and I soon found myself lining up next to Jim Hall's V8 Daimler powered Thames. My Moggy was a little quicker off the line than Jim's Thames but by the time we had to brake for the roundabout Jim and I were almost side by side. I seem to remember we raced both ways at least three times with honours being about even.

The setting was a little like the Pod with a bank on one side of the dual carriage way with enthusiastic spectators watching from the bank. After a while things quietened down then old bill turned up as locals had heard what sounded like cars racing up and down the road. A group of us were protesting our innocence when a V8 powered Bedford roared along the dual carriageway before pulling into the haulage yard! I don't imagine that they believed us but just got back in their police car and drove off. Those were the days."

R.I.P. Jim

L.P.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Oh yes the drag racing between the roundabouts, what a night, For those that were not there you could not recreate it now as that road is now called the A12, The round about by the BT tower to the one by the super market at Martlesham Heath, then it was a motorway to nowhere.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh yes the drag racing between the roundabouts, what a night, For those that were not there you could not recreate it now as that road is now called the A12, The round about by the BT tower to the one by the super market at Martlesham Heath, then it was a motorway to nowhere.
had a look at the photo's from back then,and guess what.....Jim Halls Thames just ahead of a Morris Pick-up! Also loads of pics from Carters Haulage yard.(Must get a scanner so I can upload some of them.) Seem to remember that the drags were the idea of Dave Ames,(CA Bedford/ChevyV8 ) Jims brother in law at the time!

·
Scotty&Sarah. Fine City
22 Posts
I was there too.

We had been for a bit of a shindig at Foxhall Heath. Go Woa, van cram etc. That bit of ground we spent the night on has now been built on, unsurprisingly. I'm trying to inform all the people that want/need to know about Jim's funeral.
Mail me at [email protected] and I'll try to keep you in the loop. It may be a little while before the funeral, due to the circumstances surrounding Jims demise. Mail me if you want to know more.

We sent poor old Jubilee Clip up in smoke last summer and gave him a fitting sendoff. Nice cortege with all the right (V8) noises and a Fine City Vans tee shirt on his coffin.

Mail me if you want to know more about that as well.

There's a lot of us about, but we've gone sepaerate ways over the years.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
We all (ex and current vanners) owe JH a big debt of gratitude. Please keep us informed of the funeral arrangements. We will want to be there. Missed saying goodbye to Jubilee Clip.
Cha7z

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
had a look at the photo's from back then,and guess what.....Jim Halls Thames just ahead of a Morris Pick-up! Also loads of pics from Carters Haulage yard.(Must get a scanner so I can upload some of them.) Seem to remember that the drags were the idea of Dave Ames,(CA Bedford/ChevyV8 ) Jims brother in law at the time!
i would love to see them pics:bigsmile:

R.I.P Jim Hall

·
Scotty&Sarah. Fine City
22 Posts
Gratuitous BTT

I make no excuse for a gratuitous Back To Top. I think Jim needs to keep high in our thoughts right now.:sniff:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
again someone i didnt know, but thoughts to his freinds and family, and another sad loss to our history, rip dude

·
Scotty&Sarah. Fine City
22 Posts
"You can fly a barn door if you've got a big enough engine".

One of Jim's favourite sayings. Emminently true of course.
You would have liked him, Harris66

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Everyone who knew him liked him!
This sorry tale has taken another twist.
The police in Gt Yarmouth are now treating the investigation for the missing guy as murder. They say they have found evidence in Jims garage to show that he met violence of some sort.
Sometimes it makes you wonder why people just don't leave each other alone and let them get on with their lives. You can NEVER predict the outcome of confrontation and you NEVER know for sure what even the mildest of people will do if pushed.
Sometimes I hate this world and all the people in it!

·
MAD CAP VANS
156 Posts
As a youngster I knew Jim well, as my old man was quite well known in the scene. Please let me know when the funeral is, if its not too late as i would like to attend on behalf of the Fox family and Mad Cap/Nene Valley Vans.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts