Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who would like to pay their last respects to our great friend and familiar competitor:

John's funeral will take place on Tuesday 29th November at 2.10pm at Stourbridge Crematorium, South Road, DY8 3RQ.

I have just spoken to Janet regarding dress code. She said that people should wear what they feel most comfortable in - suits and ties not required. John couldn't abide suits and ties; in fact, John himself will be taking his last ride in his jeans and NSCC t-shirt...

After the service, we'll all be heading to The Barley Mow, Wollaston High Street. One of John's lads will be taking his Mustang along to the service - he'll then be taking it home and making his own way to the Barley Mow, so Janet says DON'T follow the black Mustang from the crem or you'll end up at their house ...!

Thanks to some very generous donations, the John Payne Memorial fund stands at over £300. If you'd like to contribute, please see the other thread. A big thank-you to all those who have already put their hand in their pocket.

I'll be there in the Mustang. I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if anyone would be keen - you may all have your cars off the road! - but a couple of folk have asked if there's going to be a "procession", for want of a better word. I was going to suggest a procession after the service to the Barley Mow, but it's only a mile.
For anyone who's travelling any distance, would you like to meet up at, say, Junction 2 of the M5, where we used to hold the Toys-Am-We monthly cruise (at which John was one of the main attendees ... sometimes one of the only attendees) at 1pm, quick brew at McD's, then set off around 1.30 for Stourbridge crematorium?
Let me know your thoughts ...

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
if i decid to go in my car i will go straight there i live less than 1/2 a mile from the from the crem and even closer to the barly mow, thanks steve

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unfortunately due to the seasons end, BGP is off the road, and so is Fadster shame it would have been a fitting tribute to a good guy

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries about that - I'll be at j2 at 1pm anyway, so if anyone does want to meet up there beforehand, regardless of mode of transport ...

·
Wild Willie Fadster
1,719 Posts
I'll see you there Dave with the rest of the motley crew in attendance....... no, not the rock group !!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Unfortunately I wont be able to make it to see John off as much as I want to I have to be at hospital having a fitting for a new leg brace that I have been waiting for the last 10 months. My thoughts will be with Janet, Family & Friends and fellow NSCCers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will be at J2 with the Fox Mustang tomorrow. Margaret can't get time off work because of staff shortages and is really sorry she can't make it. Mags regarded John and Janet as really good friends and will miss her " smoking pal" immensely. See you tomorrow guys. John.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
For those that may not be familiar with the location, come off J2. The motorway island is underneath the motorway, and there is only one exit from the island (unless you include a small one for Asda) . At that exit, it splits into 3 lanes. Get in left hand lane, and take 2nd exit at the roundabout. You will have MacDonalds on the left, and go round the bend towards Whiteheath. After only about 100 yards there is the entrance to MacDonalds, and Toys Am We.
Once on the car park, keep left, and you will pass the side of MacDonalds.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few people have mentioned that we would need to be leaving McD's by 1.30 AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST to get there on time ... so we'll have to be on the ball...

·
Wild Willie Fadster
1,719 Posts
I was absolutely gutted to have missed this and wouldn't have but for a vicious little 24 hour bug which attacked me at both ends.

I feel rotten to have not been able to pay my last respects to our dear friend but hope everything went well on the day.

Although I spent most of the day either in the Loo or in bed, my thoughts were with you all.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
HI ANDY, you missed a moving day, i dont think anyone likes to go to funerals but i think the day was as pleasant as could be expected, there were so many there to pay there last respects that half of them were outside, i think that playing always look on the bright side of life from the life of brian was funny and a lot of people there didnt no weather to laff or cry, i think the lady giving the Surman was spot on , john was reliable allways willling to help and a had an infectiousness laff, R.i.p john and god bless

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I think we gave him a good send off; as Steve says the Church was filled well beyond capacity and it was good to see so many friends there - not just from the rodding world but from many other areas of John's life. Janet has said she will be at the AGM which is really good to hear, and we have vowed that each round of racing we'll have a bottle of Southern Comfort in the hospitality tent so we can have a little drink for him at the end of the night as he always used to enjoy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It was a most fitting end to one of lifes nice guys, i was proud to be a part of it
i for one will toast the last Southern Comfort of the evening to him when racing

R.I.P john good night & god bless

·
Wild Willie Fadster
1,719 Posts
Thats a brilliant idea.....mostly cos I like Southern Comfort !! I'm really pleased to hear Janet will be joining us for the AGM. I hope she will come along to some of the rounds too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts