Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lead on purchasing one of these SP 250 Engines,
I was just wondering how avalable parts and rebuild kits are for them, and weather they are worth the effort of rebuilding.

I found this very cool 36 Y Model fitted with one on youtube
but can not find any other info or photo's of the car.

and another one, this one is a top fuel sp250 owned by Russ Carpenter.
both are very cool.
cheers barnsey

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I recently heard of one local to me that used to be mid mounted in a VW van (long gone), It's apparently stuck at the back of the guys garage unloved and neglected but he's not been in when I've been round to speak to him so far. Plenty of bits on ebay, gasket sets, bearings etc. Bottom ends are apparently bulletproof but waterway corrosion can be a problem I've heard? Is the Russ Carpenter rail the same one that Robin Read used to drive?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, If parts are expensiive on your side of the pond, i can only imagine how expensive they will be on this side of the pond, I was offered a smokey runner for 3,000 that would need a rebuild and have just found a guy on ebay australia who sells fully reco ones for 6,000 exchange :shock: so i think i will just stick with my blown holden six :D
thanks again for all of your replies.
cheers barnsey

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Some idiots gone & built a bike with one:
[/QUOTE]

What kind of person would do a thing like that? It sounds fantastic! :tup:

Never seen any of Russ Carpenters creations (except on youtube) but Robin Reads car always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when it fired up :bigsmile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts