Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
In year 1981, I swapped my Pontiac Grand Le Mans 6.6 for this car, at an American car centre in Surbiton, near Kingston, Surrey. I owned and run the Mustang on a daily bases until I sold it in 1982. If memory serves me correct, a guy in Bristol bought it of me. I was living in Crawley Sussex, I never saw the car again. It was still in it's Custom show order, although the TV never worked! One or two small bubbles had appeared and the engine was breathing a little maybe? However still drove extremely well at the time. I did have to rebuild the gearbox during my time of ownership, went pop during a race with a Ferrari........yes I did win. Wish I still had it now and the GT500 Shelby I had before :(

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
meet Jon not (John) back in the days of the Bristol Custom Shows at the Exhibition Centre, real nice bloke, always burnt out when he left the show, remember at some time in his ownership he got put away at her majestys displeasure after giving some low life a good hiding, that low life having gone down the Mustangs bonnet with a knife or key, and all murals having to be redone, something in my head said a Corvette was next for Jon

·
Registered
531 Posts
I knew it had been at Crossways auto centre in the 80s so I was right
A fair number of x show cars used to turn up there

·
Registered
531 Posts
Didnt someone find the remains in a scrapyard?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jay Ps , I Think Your Right , My Brother In Law Said He saw her In in A Scrap Yard On Its Side With The Rear
Axle Gone And Various Other Parts Missing , ,,,,,,,I Hope He Was Wrong He Has Been In The Past .

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Don't know about the car, but jon has a lovely 56 vette that he never uses. I think he sold the zr1 that he had , I will call him the new year!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't know about the car, but jon has a lovely 56 vette that he never uses. I think he sold the zr1 that he had , I will call him the new year!
The Vette is a '59 hiding under a sheet in the garage and the ZR1 has long gone. He's into supercars now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In year 1981, I swapped my Pontiac Grand Le Mans 6.6 for this car, at an American car centre in Surbiton, near Kingston, Surrey. I owned and run the Mustang on a daily bases until I sold it in 1982. If memory serves me correct, a guy in Bristol bought it of me. I was living in Crawley Sussex, I never saw the car again. It was still in it's Custom show order, although the TV never worked! One or two small bubbles had appeared and the engine was breathing a little maybe? However still drove extremely well at the time. I did have to rebuild the gearbox during my time of ownership, went pop during a race with a Ferrari........yes I did win. Wish I still had it now and the GT500 Shelby I had before :(
I may be able to fill in a little more about this car in the 80's.
At some point it belonged to a member of an Outlaw Motorcycle Club in the Bristol area, He blew up the motor and re-built it in quite a high state of tune. At some time the motor was removed and put in something else, I believe the engine still exists. The rolling shell was possibly traded for a fast Jap. This is possibly how it stayed until it ended up in a breakers.
The car ended up in Police custody at one time after a bit of a fracas in Wales!
I never met the gentleman in question, he recently passed away, but I know a brother from back in the day who told me the story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts