Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you already know my car, but not many of you know how I made it what it is today. I have often been out and overheard people say things like...i wonder where he had that done or i wonder who built it for him.

Well I have owned the car for about 5 years or there abouts and when I bought it, it was little more than lifeless. Everything needed something done to it. The convertible top was ripped, the body was rough, Under the hood there was more plumbing than Thames Water. The interior was tatty, Glass not working and one window fallen out completely. No MOT/Tax etc. The car was pretty much stock apart from a set of Crager SS 5 spokes which were pitted.

From the minute I saw the car though i knew i could transform it into a well respected ride rather than just another runabout car.

This was the day I bought it after finding a usable battery i got it fired up and drove home....carefully

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first week was spent on getting it running right and generally sorting it out for the MOT. It Failed on brakes and seatbelts and lights and everything you can think of. Even though the car was looking fairly usable it obviously wasnt, so i took it home and ripped it apart. new brakes all round inc new rear drums and one of the front drums machined. Then i put a servo on it (which it never had ever). two new front hoses. Both rear axle driveshaft seals and diff gasket. Fitted air shocks to the back, welded up the exhaust and added a balance pipe to make it a bit more smooth sounding. and some general tidying up of the car

Within this time i had ordered a brand new black convertible hood from A1Pontiac in the states and some new bigger rear wheels (just for now)

It was now ready for a second trip to the MOT Station:tup:

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having now passed the first stage...getting it on the road. It was time to make it a bit more of a ride, but being driven daily with no other car i knew it had to be done over time, rather than months off the road.

(New Top, New 12 x 15 Cragers on the back)

At this point i had already measured up for some serious under hood goodies but needed a bit more time to sort it out. To do the convertible top was a mission. It took me and my brother (mr1958cadillac) 4 days to fit. although in all fairness we did take all the frame to bits and restored it and then painted it in two pack gloss black. and then restored the pump and lines, and rewired the burnt out mess that was supposed to make it work, also adding two new relays too which it didnt have before.

One thing which always makes me laugh at this stage was the often funny looks you get....like WTF has he done to that, what a shitbox thats gonna be. and infact a certain well know rodshop/customiser once called it a throwback from the 70s with the arse to high in the air. :D

Its called FORESIGHT....you either have it or you dont :incheek:

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It was starting to look fast but it was far from it. so i spent some time on the under bonnet details. fitted a more agressive cam, threw out the rochester and installed a 650 holley. For the next year it was just a slightly stock 350 with a bigger cam and mallory ignition 4bbl holley and all the usual toys. boring really, but still good fun. And daily driven

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Having driven it around for about a year I thought the time had come to start some serious work on it. So in mid Feb that year I took it off the road and started to transform it into something a little more my cup of tea.

I bought a length of 3 x2 box section to start with...

And then cut it into the pieces which were to become the rear clip

And then tacked then all together on the jig bed. Once i knew they was nice and straight I clamped and seam welded it all, and then gusseted were needed. And With the new clip firmly clamped to the jig I double checked all the angles to make sure nothing had moved.

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After leaving the workshop it was off to the shed instead. This is where I narrowed the New !0 Bolt posi. I wanted to put a 9" ford in, but this 10 bolt posi came up at the right price and as it already had rear discs I decided to use it for now.

I narrowed it by 9 inches each side and then fabricated a fully adjustable 4 bar setup to fit it. and homemade wheelie bars using CDS tube.

Here it was just put together whilst having all the brackets worked out. The wheelie bars were then cut to the right length and braced more. Once the axle was finished I had new Moser shafts made and bought Richmond 411 gears, new oil seals and bearings. Plus totally overhauled the brakes inc new discs and calipers. It was then sprayed Gloss black.

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the new clip made and ready to go in, and the axle all narrowed and fitted up, I then had to start taking chunks out of the car. I kept the car on all its wheels whilst doin this so i didnt distort the body.

I left all the floors in front of the front seats, but removed everything behind them. And i only removed enough of the original chassis to chop the new clip into. so that there was no chance of it goin in wrong. Checked, checked and checked again.....then out with the grinder:D:D

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In just one day it went from this

To This

I went to bed very happy that day!!

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Three weeks later it was finally all back on the road. And the very next morning was WHEELS DAY. I had made it!!

Five weeks start to finish

I drove it in this form for another year. In this time i had ironed out any glitches (not many though) and had sourced yet more bits for the main build up.:D

STAY TUNED FOLKS

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Giving Birth To A GOAT ................Stop shagging sheep then :pmsl:

You forgot to mention that even tho the sun was shinning in the pics.............. when YOU were cutting and measuring it was actually snowing and that the 6m length of box would not fit in your 3m shed :pmsl:

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
i was expecting some animal jiggery pokery.Most disappointing to find a car here..:D
Well done for doing that outside.You wouldn't get me doing that now..

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
If you supercharge that car - would it be correct to talk about GOATBLOWING :pmsl:

·
prostreet enthusiast
195 Posts
do you mean to tell me that people dont build there cars in the open air i thought this was common practise in the bromley area(altough mine was mostly done in newcross) whos the person in the picture (vince-305)

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Simon, You've put some work into that since the first time I saw it at Chelsea.:tup:

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

Well like I said, I drove it for about a year with it pro street and then it was time for the proper build

Only this time it was all the way!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts