Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alistair Darling :)wanker::wanker:) has today announced plans to briing in a scrappage scheme. In short how I understand it, you bung them a car over ten years old, they bung you 2 grand off the cost of a new car.

Have they not considered that most people who can only afford a car 10 years or older, aint really gonna be able to afford a new car anyway?

Discuss.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Alistair only gets to stump up half. The dealer is expected to pay the other grand.
I can't see a huge rush of people desperate to trade in their knackered Marinas and Montegos for a new car.
If you're skint you can't afford a new car whether it's £2K cheaper or not.
Although it might encourage people who are already considering a new motor to go out and buy an old banger to trade in.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Alistair Darling :)wanker::wanker:) has today announced plans to briing in a scrappage scheme. In short how I understand it, you bung them a car over ten years old, they bung you 2 grand off the cost of a new car.
Have they not considered that most people who can only afford a car 10 years or older, aint really gonna be able to afford a new car anyway?
Discuss.
Theyre probably counting on it not being a great success otherwise it will cost them money.

:puke:

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
The fact is, this will now probably cost people more. When I bought my last company car (eight years ago) I haggled and got THREE grand knocked off the list price with no part ex. Getting a dealer to knock the list price down by a couple of grand on all but the cheapest new car in the showroom would rarely have been a problem before today. Getting a substantially higher discount would have been possible if the car you were planning to buy was nearer the top end spec. As of now negotiating any discount over the 2K limit will become much harder I suspect and unless I'm very much mistaken, didn't Ford and Vauxhall recently announce price increases anyway?:tdown:

Cynical? Moi?

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Well, they couldn't use the Environmental argument any moer, because we all know that it rubbish.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/rac-suggest-age-limit....html

So they use the fiscal one instead.
The problem is that for the scheme to work you need access to finance, but since the banks are not lending I can't see whare that will come from.

You can hand out all the £2000 bungs you like but. if the other 4-20k is not there you ain't gopnna get a sale.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i work in a dealership and it was a big shock to me when i started there, how very little profit is made from each new car sale. there ain't a grand to knock off.

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
I've got an uncle with a 78 scimitar GTE, low miles, 2 owners blah blah, buts its been in his garage for years, cos hes getting older & dont wanna drive it. For him to get 2g for it, hes started to think about a new car !
How many others could go down this road ? Remember reading in Hot Rod mag a few years back about the crusher scheme. Same thing, but all the cars traded got crushed. LOADS of old yanks got made into compacts, they saved a 68/69 camaro & turned it into a project car.

Then again, who'd offer 2g for a new car if they wanted to trade for a rod / yank ??:finger:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts