Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know if its possible to maybe have a map of certain areas where fellow rodders are , obviously not exact addresses , and i know its says where you are by your avitar .or is there something i have not found yet.
just thinking this because someone is in need of local help in the garage section .
maybe put your post code in and it comes up with others on this site , sort of distance nearest thing similar to ebay.then they can pm said person.
sorry if already disgust .
you never know whos around the corner and new friends.:happy:
p.s i dont know how easy or hard this would be . cheers dazza.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I think that could be rather risky considering it is an open forum and access to find out where rods are in the country, too easy for potential thieves. I like the idea though.

If you want to find out who lives close by, why not start a thread " Anyone in the ................. area" type thing would be safer.

Cheers,

Stu.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would tend to agree with stu, i'm afraid there are too many scumbags sneaking about to put even postcodes on a forum.

I do believe others have asked for help with great success on the forum before though so maybe thats the way to go :tup:

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Like the idea...subject was touched on in the 'helping han in stafford' thread. Perhaps a new section for members only? Map is good idea, but town only. bet there is plenty of people who would start a 'garage club'....once a week you meet up in each others shit pits and either help or take the piss

Russ

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Meet in eachothers shit pit and either help or take the piss............... LMAO!!!
Russ...... You are like everyone I know. Im comin round your gaff.
You are more than welcome to come round and sweep up. Make sure you've had a good day first....i don't do sympathy :)

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
how about just a map of england and just dots on the map where a member is but no details....ie say i`m in bristol then theres a dot on bristol but no details of member and if theres more than one member in that area then a dot with the number 3 in it if theres 3 members in that area..........joe

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking put your own postcode in like on eBay and it tells you how many miles you are away and your town . No one else can see your postcode .I understand not wanting people to know where certain things are kept . For example I put my postcode in me12?!£ and it's says so and so is 25 miles so and so is 34 miles and so on then you can pm who ever is nearest for what ever reason .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
how about just a map of england and just dots on the map where a member is but no details....ie say i`m in bristol then theres a dot on bristol but no details of member and if theres more than one member in that area then a dot with the number 3 in it if theres 3 members in that area..........joe
it would need at least your forum name so the person needing help (i.e. me thanks 1stpop) knows who to pm. i think the pin in the map idea is ok as no one would know where in milton keynes my car is & the map could only be accesable to members with a certen amount of posts

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
it would need at least your forum name so the person needing help (i.e. me thanks 1stpop) knows who to pm. i think the pin in the map idea is ok as no one would know where in milton keynes my car is & the map could only be accesable to members with a certen amount of posts
:yeahthat: but no postcode..........joe

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Well i think it's a great idea! ..umm, does finding a spider in the aforementioned garage count as an emergency worthy of pm'ing all in fifteen mile radius???!!

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Personally, i've never found one that i'd put my details into. That's pretty much why i've never built one into any of my sites as well.

Restricting it to logged in users isn't really much of a safety net at all. It's quick and free to register an account on here.
Some of the 'custom' aspects people have mentioned would end up being far too much work as it'd need a system built from scratch and I wouldn't commit the time to something I felt was unwise to have.

However, just 'cos i'm paranoid doesn't mean you guys have to miss out. I may add the google maps one onto the site and see if it gets used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts