Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in the very early 90s I owned one of the fabled Kingston 'Cudas, as pictured here with a shot which appeared in 'Street Machine' in 1991. This 1973 'Cuda was a 340 with 4 speed manual gearbox, no power steering and very low mileage. (Or should I say 'kilometerage', since the speedo was in KPH). The factory handbook was in Spanish.

The car had 99% of its original factory Rallye Red paint and a perfect black interior. For some reason there were lots of tiny ding marks on various parts of the body, probably due to careless storage at some time.

I had a lot of fun with this car, but sold it a few years later to raise some additional funds to pay off the mortgage on my home. Since parting with it, to a guy from Ayesbury I think, I only ever saw it once and wondered where it might be now. Maybe it has been re-registered with a correct age related plate.

I know this car was one of a batch of 'Cudas originally supplied to Spain and which remained unsold for many years before coming here to the UK and eventually finding buyers. But why was this? Does anybody on here know the full story of these 'Cudas and where they all are now? It would be fascinating to hear it!

Lookin' cool at Street Machine's Lazy Saturday North, Haydock Park Racecourse, summer 1990.

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,719 Posts
Me and my friend Mark bought that from you! It was Marks first American car, I used to store it and look after it for him, I drove it more than him taking it to Billing, Drayton and Brands Hatch for the HARA meetings. I don't think he appreciated what he had, he loved his bling and it was a battle to stop him ruining it. After a few years he traded it for an 84 Vette from a dealer in Southend without telling me, I was gutted as I would have bought it from him in a flash. I believe Stewart Keen bought it/traded it from the dealer and later repainted it which I always felt was a shame as it was such an original survivor type car, he also removed the overriders and registered it age related so it kind of lost its identity as well. I believe it went to Germany or France in a deal with a fifties Chrysler 300 letter car.

If I recall you bought a sixties Galaxie coupe after selling the Cuda. Andy.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andy, good to hear from you! Didn't you used to have that cool Olds convertible? I remember chatting to you at some show, possibly Billing. Yes, I did have a black '64 Galaxie 500, a much missed car that I kept for longer than any other. Trying to find another one but can't seem to locate the right car-it must be black, automatic trans and a bench seat. Julian Balme, of HARA fame has just the right car, but I've already tried that avenue and he doesn't want to sell-can't say I blame him! Phil.

·
1,719 Posts
Hi Andy, good to hear from you! Didn't you used to have that cool Olds convertible? I remember chatting to you at some show, possibly Billing. Yes, I did have a black '64 Galaxie 500, a much missed car that I kept for longer than any other. Trying to find another one but can't seem to locate the right car-it must be black, automatic trans and a bench seat. Julian Balme, of HARA fame has just the right car, but I've already tried that avenue and he doesn't want to sell-can't say I blame him! Phil.
You too Phil, it was cool to see that pic of the Cuda and yourself, being a bit before everything went digital we have very few photos of the car. I did a bit later have the 59 Olds 98 Convertible, thats in Sweden now, still see it when we go over every year. Ive always liked the 63/64 Galaxies, they seem to be commanding strong money now after being cheap for many years

·
1,719 Posts
I remember those sitting at Stephen Ouvaroff's place in Kingston for ages. I was tempted at one point. Weren't there three of them?
I always believed there were 3 Steve although recently i was told there were 6!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i have some better pics somewhere, but I owned one of the Kingston cars. Bought from Al Peover late 80s, I sold it in 92, later repainted the original green with a gold stripe. It is now abroad I believe. 340 column auto, bucket seat car. My favourite Yank of all the o
nes I've owned, sold it to fund my first stateside trip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great cruiser !

Bin thur, done that ! way back in the early 70's, had a great time cruising the autobahn in Frankfurt FRG, Wish I still had it but I suppose I should not complain having sold it on to finance a Shelby GT500 .NOW THAT WAS FUN !! and the greediest vehicle I ever owned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes there were 8 from what I could find out 7 Cuda's and 1 Barracuda all 340 cars . all built on the 4th April 1973 then shipped to Gran Canaria where they remained unsold for whatever reason. They were eventually shipped back to the UK for sale. Mine was the yellow Barracuda which I regretfully sold a few years ago and now lives in Holland and is now owned by Kirsten van Croonenborgh everyone's favorite back up girl.

Three Kingston cars at the 2006 Mopar Nationals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts