Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys looking for some one who knows koi,there was some one on here abit ago who was in to them.one of my koi is on its side this morning cant see anything wrong with it except for this (picture) water good (ph a bit low 6.4) ant ideas if this sore is the cause,other fish seem ok,a month ago another fish a green tench had that cotton wool disease very slightly on it tail,fish was removed and the water treated.All other fish seem happy,any ideas??? the green looks like algae cheers mark

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looks like a fungal infection, I'd be isolating that fish and a simple salt water solution added to the water of the infected fish, the fish can tolerate the low levels of salt, but the fungal infection cannot and die off very quickly, google the right percentage of salt to water, fish should pull through, but as its fungal others may get it if their immune system is a little low

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Hi guys looking for some one who knows koi,there was some one on here abit ago who was in to them.one of my koi is on its side this morning cant see anything wrong with it except for this (picture) water good (ph a bit low 6.4) ant ideas if this sore is the cause,other fish seem ok,a month ago another fish a green tench had that cotton wool disease very slightly on it tail,fish was removed and the water treated.All other fish seem happy,any ideas??? the green looks like algae cheers mark
Hi,

It was me who started the previous Koi Carp thread. I only pop on here occasionally now, as I`ve been suffering from extremely poor health, and can`t do a lot these days. I`ve even had to have my own Koi Pond filled in, as I couldn`t cope with the upkeep !!. Life`s a bitch, but there you go.

I think you are having problems, as your pond moves from it`s Winter to Spring phase. The mark(s) on your fish looks like an Ulcer or Ulcers, possibly with a secondary Fungal infection too. Even worse, if the fish is on it`s side or it`s back a lot, it also suggests that it`s Swim Bladder is shot. If it has any patches of raised scales, or the fish itself is generally bloated, with a swollen "Pinecone" appearance, then it`s most like got "Dropsy", which is almost always fatal. You can try the isolated salt bath treatment as previously suggested etc, which "may" help with the fungal infection, and possibly the Ulcer(s), but to be honest, it will probably just prolong it`s agony, and if it`s lying around on it`s side, or upside down, you may want to consider putting it out of it`s misery, as it will be suffering greatly. Also, watch your pond like a hawk, as Ulcer/Fungal Disease is highly infectious, especially at this time of the year, as the fishes immune systems will be at their lowest, and Bacterial Infections can really take a hold as the water begins to warm up. I would take this fish out of the pond immediately, isolate it, then treat the entire pond with a good quality Anti Ulcer/Fungus treatment. Apply plenty of air while you are doing this, via your air discs or stones, and monitor the Ammonia, Nitrite & PH levels every day if necessary, as your filter(s) will need time to build up their own "good bacteria" levels, which will also be very low at this time of the year, which as I said, is THE most dangerous time for any Koi Pond. Don`t forget to do partial water changes, (via a water purifier), at around 10 - 15% per week as well, more if the Ammonia and/or Nitrite levels remain at all higher than normal, as these higher levels will stress the fish, causing even more infections. Sorry I can`t be more positive about your sick fish, but I would be very surprised if it pulls through given the symptoms you have described. Best of luck. Oh, and if I were you, I would also apply a good quality Filter Bacteria Starter/Booster to you pond filter(s) as well, to give them a bit of a "kick start", especially with what`s already going on.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice fish is out of pond and wsill watch the rest,going to get a fungus treatment tommorrow. did a water change a couple of weeks ago,so will do another at the weekend,got some big fish in the pond and dont want to loose any,hope your health improves,cheers mark

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Exactly as mike has said mate , it's from winter to the summer the parameters go to pot ,
Treat the whole pond without the fish in it . And lots of air into the pond uv off , and don't feed for a while until pond bacteria builds its self back up
Dazza
Sorry to hear about your problems mike

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Exactly as mike has said mate , it's from winter to the summer the parameters go to pot ,
Treat the whole pond without the fish in it . And lots of air into the pond uv off , and don't feed for a while until pond bacteria builds its self back up
Dazza
Sorry to hear about your problems mike
Thanks for your kind comments Mark & Dazza, just one thing after another for the last 3/4 years, never mind, there`s always someone else worse off, or so I keep telling myself !!.

More good advice about not feeding there from Dazza, which is very important while your filter(s) are not working to their full capacity, and bacteria levels are low etc, hence my suggestion about adding a good quality Filter Starter/Booster, which never does any harm at all this time of year, whether you are having any problems or not. As a final point, could I just stress the importance of regular partial water changes, as a lot of people just don`t realise how vital this is. I`ve heard many comments over the years, mostly to do with the fact that rain water "naturally" tops up the pond, hence "dilutes" it, etc, etc. When I had my pond, it was completely covered, and well overlapped, with a fully poly carbon sheeted pergola, and I hardly let a single drop of rain water get into it !!. That was because essentially, and as well as the PH level of rain water being much too low, hence it`s very "soft", and not suitable for pond water, we also have "acid rain" these days, which is full of all kinds of Chemical crap, and god knows what other "contaminants", none of which are any good for your pond, or fish. When all was well, I used to do a partial water change, (from the mains, via a 3 pod purifier), of between 10 & 15%, every week of the year, even through the Winter Months. (My pond was about 3,500 gallons). If there were ever any Ammonia or Nitrite problems, (such as at this time of year), I would test daily, and increase this accordingly, as per the old saying - "the solution to pollution is dilution" !!. Right that's my lot, I`m off to vegetate as normal !!. I hope everything turns out ok with your pond Mark, and everyone else who has one, has a great trouble free, enjoyable season. I wish I still had mine, I really miss it !!.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers mike didnt realise you had to do that many water changes,to be honest I do probably 6 or 7 year approx 30-35%.got some ulcer treatment today ,they didnt have any booster in stock so will get some tommorrow,fish is still in a net in a container,to keep it up right,hardly moving unless you touch him then he seems ok.if hes not better by tommorrow think its time to put him out of his misery, funny think is you think fish are stupid and have no feeling? I bought 6 of them all brothers and sisters, and since the sick one has been in the net there is 2 of them next to him all the time.mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.