Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nowheresville
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that now that XP isn't supported every worthless crook in the world is going to steal my identity, my money and probably all my possessions if I don't upgrade to something newer . . . so, a cheapish laptop with Win 7 would probably make sense? Any recommendations? I will really only use it for browsing (including Youtube), a bit of Paintshop Pro and maybe video, and the usual Office programs so don't need anything too fancy (or pricey), but want it to last, and not fall apart after three months. I have external monitors so would need to be able to connect to them. My PC was bought in 2007 I think, so I don't even know what the latest processors are - I see that HP offer Intel and AMD options, but they all seem to be offering Win 8 which I'm told is being abandoned?

Definitely not Apple. Definitely not Dell (if they are still in business).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
if i was you i would think again about apple they really are good once you get used to them and very stable beats windows every time,if windows then acer are good for the money or a decent toshiba,always see hp s in for repairs all the time,get the best cpu you can afford you can upgrade ram and hard drive later,i5 or i7 if you can afford it

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a HP g6 (if that makes any sense) but done every thing I wanted after I got rid of the tower, don't know about special stuff , rocket science area, heard people complain about some others, all I can say is two years plus with no hassle.

I know there are cheaper options, but buy a dacia get a dacia etc.

·
Minge
2,165 Posts
My HP ProBook has been around the world and has been battered and still keeps going.

Don't know where it has been said that Win 8 is being abandoned. It will be a bit of a change to what you are used to, but now that I am used to it, I quite like it!

·
Nowheresville
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas. It definitely won't be a Mac - I have an iPhone for work and that's been enough to show that Apple are worse than Ms when it comes to support, and screwing the customer over. I have a stupid great HP laptop at work so don't have too much of a problem with their quality so that might be the way I go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts