Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A quick intro from me:

I've been interested in Hot Rods for about 30 years. My main interest used to be in the paint/body work side - this was in the days when airbrushed murals were on loads of cars.

I've dabbled with various cars over the years - rebuilding a couple of Land Rover gearboxes, attempting to restore a P6 3500S before the arrival of wife & kids which put stop to all that.

Now the kids are pretty much off hand, I have finally got round to my first Mid-Life crisis.... sorry.... Rod project.

The base car is a fairly rotten Series 1 two door Morris 8.
Having started my interest in the 70's, my intention is to have the tried & tested Rover V8, Jag IRS combo. I'm also thinking of Jag IFS up front.

I'm reasonably competent at mechanics without being an expert, and have done some welding in the past (and am going to be doing a lot more in the future!)

My main concern at the moment is the vehicle testing aspect. Trawling through various web sites I'm still not sure what test will be required - and whether the regulations will ruin the design I want to work to. For example, I want to keep the standard radiator grille and Morris 8 badge, but this will fall foul of the 'Radius regulations'. I also don't want a Q plate.

Very few rods seem to have Q plates, even though they are at least as modified as my design - so whats the secret? (Other than just change the engine on the V5 and keep schtum!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site.

The guru re Biva / Iva / Sva etc is Kapri on the forum.
Check out the website over at ACE Restoring and repairing Historic cars to be banned? - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE) which is loaded with the kind of info you are after.
Also the search facilty at the top of the page will bring up loads about the BIVA test, if you have to go that route.

Keep us all updated too by posting loads of build photo's.

Good luck with your mid life crisis, sorry, project.:D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hi Spiv, and welcome. I've not heard the word "Spiv" for years. Made I larf!. I've sent you a PM.
Charlie.

·
Old enough to know better
3,479 Posts
Welcome Spiv, been called that meself, more than a few times....:smoke:
First car I remember was my dad's series 1 Morris 8, so look forward to some pics as yours progresses...:tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts