Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I looking at the mag. with rose tinted glasses or not? I'm sure it used to have a lot more content than it does now.
Looking at this issue, if you took all the pages that have either rusty/unfinished cars,adverts or drag racing you are left with 20 pages.
Apparently Waynes Willys has a really nice chassis,but you'd never have guessed from the feature (ie no pics of it) And it says it has twin 600cfm Holleys so why have they got Edelbrock stickers on them DB/MP??
and what is the obsession with rusty cars?? Maybe this should have gone in rants, you decide!

Gary.

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
what is the obsession with rusty cars?? Gary.
It lets people see that there was once a part avail for their car but now its just a pile of rust because the owner prob wanted a fortune for it "as its a classic". ...unless the reader owns a rat rod, in which case its like a brand new piece....(of shit) ready to bolt/cable tie/bubblegum/hot glue/no nails ..erm i mean fix on:D

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I must say I thought it was a bit thin this month but I,m not complaining on the content. There's all sorts in this hobby and all should be catered for.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Read mine already & it didn't take long. I didn't find much in there of any great interest I'm afraid. The two articles on the Willys & the '40 pickup were interesting, but the rest just didn't hold my attention. The 5 pages on a flattie rail were wasted on me I'm afraid, as were the 3 on an Aussie Pop. Why an Aussie car in the readers rides, surely we've plenty of cars over here to cover?? The article on building a prop was ok, but having seen some of the amateur welding carried out on some stuff, I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage some people to try it at home themselves. As to the 5 pages on SEMA, I've already seen most of that stuff in US mags or on the 'net anyway. I got bored very quickly & have been thinking of cancelling my subscription just as I have with my other magazines & this issue has probably swayed the balance, which is a shame, as I've been reading it since 1972, but there's very little in it these days that interests me & I can get my car fix on the 'net much quicker, easier & cheaper.

cheers...Nige

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stopped subscribin while back. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I guess.
I do like shiny paint and chrome, and like to see rods that i one day would like to own. Seems now DB is in charge that type of car is not to his liking.
Some of the stuff thats been put on the covers lately is beyound belief, when you see some of the lovely stuff inside! Kev Fosters truck didn't deserve cover?
It ain't the CC i remember

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,264 Posts
Stopped subscribin while back. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I guess.
I do like shiny paint and chrome, and like to see rods that i one day would like to own. Seems now DB is in charge that type of car is not to his liking.
Some of the stuff thats been put on the covers lately is beyound belief, when you see some of the lovely stuff inside! Kev Fosters truck didn't deserve cover?
It ain't the CC i remember
I'm guessing they are just trying to reflect what their readership tells them they want to see, ie I've seen loads of posts on here about why doesn't CC feature 'hot rods' (as opposed to street rods) . With a huge amount of other mags out there covering the more fashion driven vehicles, and more joining every minute , they have to cater for some of that or disappear . Let's hope they are still their when fashion swings back to whatever 'you' like ?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i got a little ribbing on the other side when i mentioned last months was not that special, and counted 29 pages of adds...........

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
They have got to sell mags to survive , go to most shows and a large number of cars are either not in paint or just flat paint it is the fashion at the moment and there are a lot of people who like that look (i'm not one of them).I always find something in the mag I like and think Dave and Mike do a great job in a time when the internet must make it very hard to come up with something new .At least with Custom Car you dont have put up with the idiots you get on all forums .My favourite thing in it this month is the guy selling a 1941(?) candy apple red with side step (its a coupe)red chrome engine,red velvet interior (nice)engine converted from automatic to standard (?) for only £45,000 i cant believe it aint been snapped up ,the picture alone should sell it !

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Tbh cc has been a bit on the thin side for a good while, i think the quality is there just not enough of it, i personally like tech articles and is my favourite part of any mag, i dont buy it all the time which i should because if i/we dont then we will end up with nothing, i sometimes buy classic/retro ford but if you look at any of the vauxall vw mags etc there is quit a bit more in there, i suppose you can only feature whats out there, i no dave comes on here from time to time so perhaps some ideas from us may help its future

·
Registered
502 Posts
I posted my observations on here last month and this one doesn't sway my thinking, so CC subs are getting cancelled. Shame as I've been buying it since pretty much day 1 and been a subscriber for 10 years +

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,264 Posts
I think the mag adequately covers the many facets of the UK scene. It doesn't however cover certain interests specifically ie It's NOT' Matt Black A roadster with Kelsey Wires Monthly'. Plenty of mags do so best to buy them ,meanwhile I want to see about the British Scene in the ONLY mag that covers it.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
,meanwhile I want to see about the British Scene in the ONLY mag that covers it.
Couldn't agree more Kev, hence my querieing the need to put an Aussie Pop article in & a whole 5 pages on the coverage of SEMA, which has been covered in the US mags already. I want to see more of the British scene in, as you say, the ONLY mag that covers it. If I want to see stuff from abroad I'd buy the mags or view the web sites that cater for it

Cheers...Nige

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
I like to see cars that I will see in the Summer in a magazine and have closer look in the flesh. That was one of my favourite things about the mag years ago. SEMA seems to be more of a mainstream American car mag item (Classic American or American Car).
Personally I like to see more aspects of the scene and not just anything pre 1972.

If this happens I'll start subscribing again, but until then I'll check it out in WH Smiths and see if it's worth buying each month. I haven't bought it for nearly 2 years now and I think that is down to my tastes changing as well as the mag evolving.

·
Nowheresville
3,064 Posts
I like the soCal diaries pages and always think there should be more...
SEMA? I'm not interested in 24" wheels or new Mustangs, but wouldn't object to two or three pages on "what's new"...
Rusty Willys is OK, but would be better with a period-correct paint job - the cover looks crap but I suppose it might attract some different buyers - unfortunately, most likely the sort who strip perfectly good paint off a modern car to make it go rusty...

To me, it seems that the covers have had odd colour schemes or layouts for a while now - very dark or dull - definitely something different about them.

I'll probably leave my subscription running as it is a lot cheaper than the newsagent price.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Couldn't agree more Kev, hence my querieing the need to put an Aussie Pop article in & a whole 5 pages on the coverage of SEMA, which has been covered in the US mags already. I want to see more of the British scene in, as you say, the ONLY mag that covers it. If I want to see stuff from abroad I'd buy the mags or view the web sites that cater for it

Cheers...Nige
make ya mind up... whats more british than a guy working his nuts off for 8 weeks to build a slingshot just to see if he likes it , the only thing not done at home was the trimming.
what have you created in the last 8 weeks thats feature worthy !!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts