Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there a couple of pics showing my sons 120 amazon ,which shall be recieving some Kustom touches.
Pulled the cover off after the winter break and shall be starting this week and try
to do something every Monday night (Lads Niight)Cheers Andy and Andrew

How it will look:)

My old car

Me hard at it ,:)

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Get em interested while their young and has a better chance of keeping them off the drink and drugs. Once my sons old enough i will buy him a car to do and keep his interests going in that hopefully.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Get em interested while their young and has a better chance of keeping them off the drink and drugs. Once my sons old enough i will buy him a car to do and keep his interests going in that hopefully.
Although drink and drugs probably work out cheaper in the long run.
Less addictive than rodding too!

Cool car, I know exactly how exited he will be about it. I had a Hillman Minx when I was 14 and it was the best thing ever.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Off on Holiday today and it wasnt raining so had a few hours welding with Andrew today on his car,,,

Last bit of rot on O/S (Bumper Support)

Blue Peter eat your heart out:)

Nice new metal

Hit a snag the last owner had welded in new inner wing repair panels but the N/S was 15mm too high AAARGH what do I do ??

Answer cut the wing and reweld with the wing at the correct height now SORTED :)

Young Archibalds on the ball

O/S wing with its Headlight frenching half way done ,welded ,leaded just the side light to go in then finnish with a little filler

N/S waiting to be worked on

Trial fitting of the Grill.....More soon Andy

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
i love this thread and your one cool dad. My father was a wanker and left when i was 5 but all i wanted was a dad like you, no, i dont want adopted, :pmsl: Wish i had learnt welding and fabrication at a young age. Cars looking good. Who's deciding the details then? You or him?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I used to go to car shows when I was a nipper with my Dad. The only thing he would ever let me do though was polish the chrome on his MK11 Zodiacs!!

I am now doing my own work on my own car and I really enjoy doing it. Not bad for a nearly 42 year old!!!

Well done :tup:

Hotrod Girl

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
kool hide you'r going to have,
i'v had a few amazons and still have 2 atm but one is for sale
keep at it:tup:

have you looked under the rear seat they tend to rot out there aswell

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LAST UPDATE,11/04/10 Started 10 am finished 4 pm
latest update Sunday Suns out :) so Sons out :) and dad
Last day off until next Sunday so cracked on
Wanted to fit all the front end to see if there were any hidden problems

Mock up this morning after straightening the bumper irons and a bit more work fettling the front panel for the grill

Ready to remove the bumper bolts and weld it into a one piece

How the front shall look?

Andrews Ready to roll :)

A wee bit of leading

Me after a hard day at it

scary man :0

scary boy :0

N/S Done
More next week hopefully,once Im happy with the front I shall move on to the sills which need a bit of tidying up,then the wheel arches ,nothing too bad I hope just re doing some of the welding.Then onto the rear ,Spare wheel well ,boot floor and Frenching the tail light sas well as smoothing off the Boot lid Cheers the now Andy and Andrew

PS looking for a cool wee badge for the grill any ideas ?

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Great project. It's good to see your son getting fully involved with the build. It seems like a good way to teach him all the mechanical and welding skills etc, and he'll really apreciate the finished car much more than any modern box you can by off a dealer's forecourt.
I like the use of the Consul grille too. That really transforms the front end.

Not sure about hot rodding as a way to keep off the booze though. :incheek:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there was a break in the weather today (Day Off God Bless Sundays)
so me and the boy had a couple of hours to" Make "and "French "his side lights ,
First,Cardboard,sticky back plastic and an old washing up bottle......wait too much Blue peter
Cut out the shape to make the Frenching bucket card first,... then Steel
Cut and welded in steel.....
Make a base......
Cut out a hole for the light unit......
Wee bit of gas welding....

Practise first then the frenched light holders....
Where too cut ?????
Here is best can still see them from the side ,dont want to upset the MOT man:)
A cut with the plasma and wee weld way the mig ,dress up with a flap disc and done one side

More next week ...Cheers Andy and Andrew:);)

·
Legs and heels subscriber
755 Posts
Andrew
Now, please explain how on earth how you are going to polish inside that there frenched indicator housing young man ;) ??

Wonder if you can get clear 59 cadillac bullets :)))

your good old uncle stu, with the shiney rod in the family :D:incheek:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a day off work today so done a couple of hours on the Amazon ,next job line up all front end panels,to set gaps correctly after a shift to finish the front panel

"The blue car and the red car had a race"Why do I hear that song in my head?

7hrs frenching headlight and side light ,welding up the side trim holes and bolting on the wing,,,,time flys ,,,Cheers Andy
more next week :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks great. I wish my Dad taught me how to weld. I missed out on an Amazon about 6 years ago and still think about it every time I see one.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts